Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"A lot of countries won’t let ppl work w/o the vaccine. I’d def recommend they get the vaccine," she added. "I’m sure I’ll b vaccinated as well cuz I have to go on tour, etc."

Source: USAToday

The use of "def", "b" and "cuz" ect. sounds less educated. Does it sound so to you?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. It's what many people do in facebook posts, WhatsApp messages, tweets, etc.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But, fortunately, not in forums.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good Taste, the abbreviation is etc.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No. It's what many people do in facebook posts, WhatsApp messages, tweets, etc.

Fair enough, but we are talking about Nicki Minaj here. I'd bet she would write the same way if she were addressing the pope or Her Maj. It's probably the only version of English she knows. :)

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I thought her two British accents were not bad- her posh one wouldn't get her presented at court, but it did the job. She showed a linguistic subtlety in that recording.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I thought her two British accents were not bad- her posh one wouldn't get her presented at court, but it did the job. She showed a linguistic subtlety in that recording.

Would anyone like to explain the phrase "her posh one wouldn't get her presented at court" to me because I don't understand it?

It seems to me to mean "because her elegance, no one would sue her (make her presented at a court of law)." I am not sure at all whether it is correct in understanding.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Would anyone like to explain the phrase "her posh one wouldn't get her presented at court" to me because I don't understand it?

It seems to me to mean "because her elegance, no one would sue her (make her presented at a court of law)." I am not sure at all whether it is correct in understanding.

In this context, court does not mean court of law. To be presented at court means to be formally introduced to the Sovereign (currently Queen Elizabeth II.) Tdol said jokingly that although Minaj can do a pretty convincing upper class accent, that is not sufficient to get her an introduction.

Last edited:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The next clause "but it did the job" - What does it mean? "Her posh/elegance worked the way (that would eventually lead her to the Queen)"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It did the job means that, although imperfect, it was good enough for Minaj's purposes.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Nope- it means she sounds OK, but if she were presented to the Queen, she would not convince her. However, for the purposes of a recording laughing at the British prime minister, she sounds fine. For a non-British speaker doing something without any preparation, she's very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.