In need of punctuation

Do people keep to the rules for using the comma or doesn't it matter? I am unhappy because I feel I should but I am unable to. When I do I feel restricted and I cannot enjoy using words in the way I want to.Would a comma splice be overlooked these days? It would be nice if that also applied to the rules for the semicolon. Are you allowed to use one just because you want a bigger pause than a comma? I would find that useful (make it easier to convey meaning).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: In need of punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by scripto View Post
    Do people keep to the rules for using the comma or doesn't it matter? I am unhappy because I feel I should but I am unable to. When I do I feel restricted and I cannot enjoy using words in the way I want to.Would a comma splice be overlooked these days? It would be nice if that also applied to the rules for the semicolon. Are you allowed to use one just because you want a bigger pause than a comma? I would find that useful (make it easier to convey meaning).
    There are specific rules for punctuation marks, although there is some flexibility. In the beginning, I would encourage you to learn and follow the rules.

A semicolon is not a long comma; it is more like a short period (full stop) in some cases. Here are some sites for you:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handou..._commacomp.pdf

http://www.factoryschool.org/handboo...CommaRules.pdf

gpunc7

Comma splices are horrible. But if you want to know when to use a semicolon, one usage is to replace a comma to avoid a comma splice. So that's two birds killed already; let's hope the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds doesn't find out. (Did you notice the semicolon?)

Actually, thanks for reminding me. I need to finish an article I'm writing about the comma. I'll let you know when I have it online.

Oh -- and since you're in Britain, try to borrow or (even better) buy a copy of Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. If you're having problems with punctuation, it'll help point you in the right direction.

OK, forgive the triple post, but here we are:

Comma commotion