Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
If someone named someone 'stupid', it means someone abused / offended / insulted / ... someone else?

Which word is the most popular and the less popular in that context?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If someone [STRIKE]named[/STRIKE] called someone 'stupid', it means someone abused/offended/insulted ... someone else.

Which words [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are the most popular and the [STRIKE]less[/STRIKE] least popular in that context?

Please note my corrections above. Don't put a space on either side of a slash mark.

I'd use "insulted" as my first choice. I probably wouldn't use "abused" at all in that context but it's entirely possible that others would disagree with me. I would use "offended" only if I knew that the person actually felt offended by being called "stupid".

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Abused is commonly used in that sense in Indian English. North Americans would think of domestic violence if abused was used. Offended is pretty common over here. Snowflakes are plentiful in Canada, both literally and figuratively.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most people still think of some sort of violence when they hear "abuse". You could get around that by saying that calling someone "stupid" could be regarded as a form of "verbal abuse".

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To me, it is certainly meant as an insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.