Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi guys,

So I've started reading this book and have difficulties in understanding following sentence:

"Sal was well known in the neighborhood, but also well known to be such a douche bag that no one would have been surprised to see a long red rubber hose and nozzle trailing out his pant leg."

would you be so kind to explain what does it mean to have 'a long red rubber hose and nozzle trailing out his pant leg' ?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
An actual douche bag is a rubber bag something like a hot water bottle. Together with a rubber hose and nozzle it can be used to inject a dose of water or other liquid into the body. Figuratively it is a way of insulting a person, extremely popular I might add in my home country, Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. [STRIKE]guys,[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I've started reading [STRIKE]this book[/STRIKE] Noir, by Christopher Moore, and [STRIKE]have difficulties in[/STRIKE] I'm having trouble understanding the following sentence:

"Sal was well known in the neighborhood, but also well known to be such a douche bag that no one would have been surprised to see a long red rubber hose and nozzle trailing out his pant leg."

[STRIKE]Would you be so kind to[/STRIKE] Please explain what [STRIKE]does it mean to have[/STRIKE] 'a long red rubber hose and nozzle trailing out his pant leg' means?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above.

The source of the quote must appear in the main body of your post, not in the title. Titles should be unique, relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. I have changed your title for you this time.

Also, please note the following to save you time in the future:
- There is no need for any kind of greeting. Simply ask your question.
- Don't waste words. There's no need for "Would you be so kind as to" when "Please" is sufficient.

Last edited:

greniu69

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Also, please note the following to save you time in the future:
- There is no need for any kind of greeting. Simply ask your question.
- Don't waste words. There's no need for "Would you be so kind as to" when "Please" is sufficient.

Thank you, I will try to have this in my mind. Should I change the original post according to your note? Also, should I close the thread (if yes, then how) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No – do not change the original post. Just remember emsr2d2's advice next time you post.

No – do not try to close the thread. Somebody else may have something to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.