Student or Learner
Native Language
Hausa
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Oman
Hello.
I wonder if these two sentences are correctly worded. Do they sound off to you?

Generally, the path of least resistance towards relocating to a foreign country is by pursuing tertiary or postgraduate education. The benefits for someone seeking a job in the country who graduates there heavily outweigh those of someone who doesn't.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The second sentence has two problems. First, the modifiers of someone are in the wrong order. "Who graduates there" must come right after "someone". I can't explain why, but perhaps a better grammarian than I can help. The second sentence doesn't make sense. I think you are trying to say that a person who graduates in a foreign country is more likely to land a job there than one who graduated somewhere else. That is certaily true in my home country, Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Generally, the path of least resistance towards relocating to a foreign country is by pursuing tertiary or postgraduate education. You will then have an advantage in getting a job or starting a career there over anybody who graduated somewhere else.

Try that!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello.

Generally, the path of least resistance towards relocating to a foreign country is by pursuing tertiary or postgraduate education. The benefits for someone seeking a job in the country who graduates there heavily outweigh those of someone who doesn't.

Are you talking about migration to the foreign country? I think pursuing tertiary education in the country is not a path, but only the first step towards getting permanent residenceship in the country. There are a lot of other criteria to be considered. Employers much prefer to employ foreigners whose qualifications are obtained locally than from abroad.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Often they acquire their postgraduate education before they relocate. I think the sentence is a factual mess.

Silverhand

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hausa
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Oman
Often they acquire their postgraduate education before they relocate. I think the sentence is a factual mess.
They probably do, but then they have to find a company that is willing to sponsor and hire them. Not a lot of companies want to go through the tedious process of sponsoring a foreigner who doesn't already have the right to work in that country. That's why if you obtain your degree in the foreign country, you are generally eligible to visas that grant you open work permits for a certain amount of time. That means you can apply to any company without restrictions from an immigration standpoint.

Silverhand

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hausa
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Oman
Where is the "thank" button?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Where is the "thank" button?

You should be able to see it in the grey bar at the bottom of every post (except your own). Here is a screenshot of the relevant part of post #5.

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 15.11.44.png

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say the person is eligible to apply for a visa (meets the requirements).

Status
Not open for further replies.