Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"Other public places", "other waste", "do an awful action"

Could you check my test please? Can I use "and other waste" and "other public places" and "doing a lot of other awful actions"?

"Many people are dumping dangerous chemicals and other waste into rivers, seas and oceans. In addition, they are cutting down trees and doing a lot of other awful actions. Speaking for myself, even my children don't take out the rubbish in the street and other public places. Based on the above, the science fiction story I read looks like the true. (It is a story about our future. People will have to move to another planet because the earth has no resources.)
We have to start changing the way we live, little by little."

I think " don't take out the rubbish" should be "don't litter." I am not sure if it should be "we should start changing the way" or "we should start to change."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Re: "Other public places", "other waste", "do an awful action"

Could you check my test please?
Did you mean "text" instead of "test"?

"Many people are dumping dangerous chemicals and other waste into rivers, seas and oceans. In addition, they are cutting down trees and doing a lot of other awful actions.
That's clumsy. It's mostly corporations and other such large entities that are doing most of the dumping. Also, those two sentences can imply the same people are doing the dumping and the cutting of trees. I suggest you reword that part and consider writing a shorter sentence possibly in the passive.

Speaking for myself, even my children don't take out the rubbish in the street and other public places.
What does that mean?

Based on the above, the science fiction story I read seems plausible. [STRIKE]looks like the true.[/STRIKE]
We have to start changing the way we live, little by little."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

It's mostly corporations and other such large entities that are doing most of the dumping.

Having spent a good part of my career in the waste disposal business, I very much doubt the truth of that statement. On the contrary, corporations in general are keen to develop and display their environmental responsibility.
Illegal dumping is practiced by petty criminals, not by large corporations. The only exceptions i've ever heard of were the Love Canal (Hooker Chemical) in New York and the English-Wabigoon River in Canada. Do you have any evidence for your assertion?

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

I don't, but you're only looking at Western countries. Think of developing or underdeveloped countries where regulations are weak and their enforcement is often weaker. Anyhow, let's not sidetrack the thread. Rachael can easily omit "people" from that first sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.