Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Canada
How common is it to hear the verb "to tender" as a synonym of "to charge", as in an item being charged $10 to the customer.
For some background, I have been very familiar with English since 4 years old, as we lived just south the border to Texas for a few years. I learned English in school as a second language. And it's been over 30 years since I moved to Canada. So, it was only since about 20 months that I started hearing this word used this way at this international telemarketing company I work for. It'd would be fair to note that this seems to be coming from the client company we provide Costumer Service services to.
I have a cousin, born and raised in Toronto, Canada, daughter of an Anglo-Canadian father, she said she had heard it before but it is rather rare.

What is your take on this?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's not uncommon but I don't think it's a synonym for charge. If something is priced at say $10 I charge a person $10 for it. If the person decides to buy, they tender me some money in settlement of the charge. That's why American currrency says on each bill (note) "This note is legal tender."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can you give an example of a complete sentence in which 'tender' is used in this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.