Questions?

I have two questions. Please help.

1. If I'm using "getting off" phrase, could I use "going to" or "gonna" before it? Like "I'm going to get off the car" or should I use "I'm getting off the car" instead?

2. What is the english word or phrase for the one you would say if you purchased something that you think it is not worth the prize or a different store offers a cheaper one. Should I say "I got robbed when I bought this"?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by hlbert03 View Post
    I have two questions. Please help.

1. If I'm using "getting off" phrase, could I use "going to" or "gonna" before it? Like "I'm going to get off the car" or should I use "I'm getting off the car" instead?

2. What is the english word or phrase for the one you would say if you purchased something that you think it is not worth the prize or a different store offers a cheaper one. Should I say "I got robbed when I bought this"?

Thanks.
    1. Your use of "going to" is fine, although your examples are a bit odd. You don't get off a car, unless you're on it (that is, physically sitting or standing on the roof, or the bonnet [hood]). You get off a bus, or a plane, or a train, but you get out of a car.

2. You could use "robbed", but usually with "was/were": You paid how much? You were robbed. Another, even less formal, way of saying that is:You paid how much? They must have seen you coming. [That is, the shopkeeper saw them coming, and thought 'Here's someone I can overcharge without anyone complaining.']

b

You said that using "going to" is fine. So, this means that "getting off" is more appropriate to be used. Am I right? Also, is "get off" for public utility vehicles only whereas "get out" is for private vehicles?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

You said that using "going to" is fine. So, this means that "getting off" is more appropriate to be used. Am I right? Also, is "get off" for public utility vehicles only whereas "get out" is for private vehicles?

Thanks in advance.
    "I'm getting off[/out]" states a more immediate intention than "I'm going to get off"; I'm getting off here [speaker is getting hurriedly to his feet] but I'm going to get off at the next stop [speaker is still sitting down]. I think your rule of thumb (about public vs private vehicles) is fine

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    "I'm getting off[/out]" states a more immediate intention than "I'm going to get off"; I'm getting off here [speaker is getting hurriedly to his feet] but I'm going to get off at the next stop [speaker is still sitting down]. I think your rule of thumb (about public vs private vehicles) is fine

b

Thank you so much for making this clear to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thank you so much for making this clear to me.
    Pleasure . I've been thinking over that rule of thumb, and like all such rules it has its limits. Here's an example of the rule breaking down:

About 30 years ago I flew on an internal flight, in quite a small plane (a public vehicle, but not very big - it was a Vickers Viscount, carrying a few dozen passengers). When I got in to that plane I probably didn't think of it as getting on (although, when speaking more carefully, I might have referred to it as getting on board).

b