Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello folks!
Given such a context, which tense should Student B use in their answer or maybe both acceptable?

Mr. Smith giving homework and explaining how to do it in the class.

3 days later:

Student A: Do you know what is our homework?

Student B: No, I haven't listened / didn't listen to Mr. Smith.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Past simple is appropriate. Present perfect doesn't work.

Even more appropriate would be past continuous:

Student A: Do you know what the homework is?

Student B: No, I wasn't listening when Mr Smith told us.

astepforward

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is it inappropriate because the time is probably known for both, even if it's not stated explicitly as a time expression?
By the use of present perfect, I wanted to emphasize the present effect of me not listening in the past. I wanted to convey the same message as in the 2) dialogue = I can't help.
By the use of past simple or past continuous what I really want to convey is not as direct and can only be inferred from the context.
I've been taught that these tenses have no connection with the present moment, they tell only about the past.

1)
Student B: I haven't listened/haven't been listening to Mr.Smith = I cannot help you now

2)
Student A: Do you know what to do?
Student B: I haven't encountered such a problem = I cannot help you now

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Student B: No, I wasn't listening when Mr Smith told us.

The idea here is that the speaker's current lack of knowledge is due to a failure to listen at a specific time in the past. That's why it's more likely for a speaker to use a past tense (either past simple or past continuous) rather than the present perfect.

Look at this is like this: the present situation (the state of not knowing what the homework is) is the result of the lack of a past action (not listening), so by focusing on the past action the speaker is identifying the cause of the problem.

astepforward

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Look at this is like this: the present situation (the state of not knowing what the homework is) is the result of the lack of a past action (not listening), so by focusing on the past action the speaker is identifying the cause of the problem.

Applying it to the second dialogue example: present situation (state of not knowing what to do with the problem) is the result of the lack of a past action (encountering this problem). Does it mean past tense should go here as well?

Student A: Do you know what to do?
Student B: No, I haven't encountered/didn't encounter such a problem

I would like to know when to use each tense when a specific time is not given by any time expression or when clause. If they are specified (eg. when I was a boy, last week, three days ago, when I was driving home) it's pretty straightforward to me that we're talking about a specific moment in the past.

Student B: Yes, I wrote down/was writing down every single detail. (writing down must have taken place during last class and this is a specific time understood for both speakers, even if not given explicitly - that's why we use past tense. Even if we want to convey the message "I have all the notes needed", present perfect does not fit here due to the specific time)

Student B: Yes, I have received an e-mail with the notes from Jack. (the person we're talking to doesn't know the time I received the e-mail - and I can use present perfect here to convey the message "I have all the notes needed").

I know it's quite chaotic, but I would be so thankful for any hints on how to choose from these two tenses. Especially when the time of an event is not directly given.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Though the time is not specific, it is understood to be the time when Mr Smith spoke to the class.

How about this? I wasn't paying attention when Mr Smiths spoke about the homework, so I have no idea.

astepforward

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Though the time is not specific, it is understood to be the time when Mr Smith spoke to the class.

How about this? I wasn't paying attention when Mr Smiths spoke about the homework, so I have no idea.

By present perfect tense, I wanted to convey the same message as in your example and I wanted to do it without adding this bolded complementary part. This part makes it clear that I don't know what the homework is at the current moment. The sentence I wasn't paying attention when Mr Smiths spoke about the homework (without so I have no idea) doesn't make it clear if I still don't know the homework at the moment of speaking.

I understand that if we believe that the time of an action is understood for the person we are talking to - we use past simple (or continuous) tense to talk about that action and the present consequences of it we should further explained as you did in your example to show the relation between the past and the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.