British English
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
ADVISE/ADVICE
ADVISE verb
ADVICE noun.

Both words have the same meaning, but their parts of speech differ as shown above .However suffice it to say that advise(verb) is whatsomebodydoes, while advice(noun) is whatsomebodygives.

NOTE: advice(noun) should never be pluralized: advices(incorrect).
it should not also be in the past tense or the'....ing'form:
adviced(incorrect)
advicing(incorrect)

However, advise may have the features above: advises , advising , and advised.
James ________ john every time not to skip English classes (a)advices (b)advice (c)advise (d)advises . THE ANSWER IS D.

Also note that it is only advice(noun) that is preceded by my,their,her,his,our,the,some,much,any,a piece of,some pieces of,a lot of,lots of or any noun that is in possessive or genitive case(a noun that takes an apostrophe(')before or after"S", I.E Joseph's advice.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
ADVISE/ADVICE
ADVISE verb
ADVICE noun.

Both words have the same meaning (No, they don't) no comma required here but their parts of speech differ as shown above. space after a full stop However, suffice it to say that "advise" space here (verb) is what space here somebody space here does, while "advice" space here (noun) is what space here somebody space here gives.

NOTE: advice space here (noun) should never be pluralized: advices space here (incorrect).
It should [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] also not be in the past tense or the space here '....ing' space here form:
adviced space here (incorrect)
advicing space here (incorrect)
The last three lines are completely pointless. There are no verb forms of a noun!

However, "advise" may have the features above: advises, advising, and advised.
James ________ John every time not to skip English classes.
(a) space here advices
(b) space here advice
(c) space here advise
(d) space here advises

[STRIKE]THE ANSWER IS[/STRIKE] The answer is D.

Also note that it is only "advice" space here (noun) that is preceded by my, space here their, space here her, space here his, space here our, space here the, space here some, space here much, space here any, space here a piece of, space here some pieces of, space here a lot of, space here lots of or any noun that is in possessive or genitive case space here (a noun that takes an apostrophe space here (') space here before or after space here "S". space here I.E Joseph's advice.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my multiple corrections and my comments above. You must remember to put a space after every comma and full stop. Don't put a space before a comma or a full stop. As an English teacher and, more importantly, apparently a native speaker of British English, you should really know that. Do you have a question for us?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.