Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear everybody:
What is the exact meaning of the words in bold in the following passage? It is from the book Iranian-Russian Encounters, p. 105.

By 1914, through the advantages previously given to them in 1889 by having a boundary commissioner in Astarabad, the Russians were able, particularly from 1911, to assimilate and purchase large areas of land in the region of the town.

Thanks very much.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
assimilate and purchase large areas of land in the region of the town.
integrate with and become a part of the local population
buy large areas of land in and around that town

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Given that a boundary commissioner is involved, then assimilation would involve fully absorbing it into their territory.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Asterabad is at the southeastern corner of the Caspian in modern-day Iran but just south of Turkmenistan. I believe that at the time Britain had established a protectorate in that area, so that's who appointed the boundary commission. Would it be too political to say that they were playing God with the locals? I think not -- imperialism was part of the contemporary political ethos.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As a Brit, I have to confess that it wouldn't be the first time- the Durand line, the disputed border between Pakistan and Afghanistan, etc. And in the US, Mason and Dixon were British. :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.