Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
''What are three qualities you think a teacher should have ?'' This is my essay topic and here is my essay. I would like you to correct my mistakes.

In my opinion there are three fundamental qualities in order to be a good teacher. These are curiosity, discipline and a decent methodology. Before we unfold these qualities I should point out that the arguments in this essay stems from the premise that the one first must be an excellent student before becoming a good teacher. So we will adress how to study efficently as well as how to teach well.

Curiosity is the first and most important quality. In obtaining extensive knowledge, curiosity plays a curicial role because during the long study sessions the most powerful motivation will be curiosity. Without curiosity these sessions can be overwhelming and this situation can lead to not studying enough. In that case the teacher might not be able to grasp enough knowledge to provide quality education. Furtermore the lack of curiostiy can make the teacher unconcerned with the students and innovative ideas. In that case the classroom environment won't be exciting for the students.

The second quality is discipline. Ironcally, I want to first mention how overwhelming discipline can cause a strict study order. A strict study order can sound well at first. However this situation can limit imagination. People aren't robots. They can't follow a strict routine for long without feeling overwhelmed. Lack of imagination and motivation are the things that prevent learning and producing innovative ideas. With that being said we must be aware of the benefits of discipline. A well balanced and not unnecessarily regulated discipline can provide us a structure that enables us to grasp the context of our study material and produce innovative ideas. In short, in terms of discipline we must find the balance

The third quality is a decent methodology. If a teacher can handle the problem of methodology, this will put him or her among the elite teachers. First the teacher must grasp the basic knowledge of cognitive process. After that he or she must structure a lecture plan that is suitable for their discipline. In addition they must have a good rhetoric. They also should have some theatric aura in order to attract attention. Moreover one of the most important things is that they must be approachable in order to encourage students to inquire the things they wonder. When students make small mistakes the teacher musn't dwell on them. A teacher must also monitor his or her students' development closely. In order to do that decent examinations are required. In that way the teacher can assess the situation of the class properly. Homeworks should be in research form in order to develop research skills.

In this essay we explained the three fundamental qualities in order to be a good teacher. We have adressed learning and studying as much as teaching because in
order to be a good teacher, the one must be firstly an excellent student.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Why have you chopped and changed between "I" and "we"? It's your essay so I see no reason for anything other than "I".
2. When are you going to submit your essay to your teacher/tutor for marking or grading?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "unfold these qualities" mean? Do you mean "discuss"?

arguments ... stem

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my opinion there are three fundamental qualities in order to be a good teacher. These are curiosity, discipline and a decent methodology. Before we unfold these qualities I should point out that the arguments in this essay stems from the premise that the one first must be an excellent student before becoming a good teacher. So we will adress how to study efficently as well as how to teach well.

NOT A TEACHER

Azilon, people nowadays are very busy and do not want to read long essays. You might consider tightening your writing by removing unnecessary words.

I suggest for the first paragraph something like: "There are three qualities needed to be a good teacher: curiosity, discipline, and methodology. I believe that one must first be an excellent student in order to become an outstanding teacher."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say intelligence is an important quality for a teacher to have.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would say intelligence is an important quality for a teacher to have.

Intelligence is an important quality in any profession.

I think the second last paragraph which sounds like material from a teacher training course, is a bit technical for the layman to appreciate. How about using "teaching methods"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't have a problem with "methodology", but I don't see how it's a personal quality.

Azilon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
1. Why have you chopped and changed between "I" and "we"? It's your essay so I see no reason for anything other than "I".
2. When are you going to submit your essay to your teacher/tutor for marking or grading?

I don't have to sumbit the essay. I just study on my own. I upload my essays here in order to have corrections and prevent fossil errors.

Azilon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What does "unfold these qualities" mean? Do you mean "discuss"?

arguments ... stem

Yes roughly. Explain, analyze or discuss.

Azilon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Intelligence is an important quality in any profession.

I think the second last paragraph which sounds like material from a teacher training course, is a bit technical for the layman to appreciate. How about using "teaching methods"?

In my imagination I was going to write this for ''the future teachers''. That's why I used technical language.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't have to submit the essay. I just study on my own. I upload my essays here in order to [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] get corrections and prevent fossil errors.

Please note my corrections above. I have no idea what "fossil errors" are. Please explain the term.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please note my corrections above. I have no idea what "fossil errors" are. Please explain the term.

Well, I know I'm a fossil, but I haven't seen that one before either.
:)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Well, I know I'm a fossil, but I haven't seen that one before either.
:)

My guess is that fossil errors are mistakes made by pre-historic man which have been buried, become hardened and turned into rock (fossilised) over time.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have no idea what "fossil errors" are. Please explain the term.

This is teaching terminology. Fossilisation is the process whereby certain language patterns become deeply encoded in the brain. So when you've made the same error so many times that it has become hardwired, habituated, and extremely difficult to remove, we say that the error is 'fossilised', as if it's kind of set in stone.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is teaching terminology. Fossilisation is the process whereby certain language patterns become deeply encoded in the brain. So when you've made the same error so many times that it has become hardwired, habituated, and extremely difficult to remove, we say that the error is 'fossilised', as if it's kind of set in stone.

Live and learn!

Azilon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

Science has spoken. Thank you for the detailed definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.