[General] I'll divide tonight's....(45 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I will give a talk at Gary's English club. I'll say the following before I give the talk:

I'll divide tonight's talk into two parts. The first 90 minutes or so I'll talk about the chosen topic "How can one learn English without spending time in an English-speaking country?". The rest one hour for Q and A section or discussion about tonight's topic.

Please help me with the italic sentences.

More context:

a) The talk starts from 7:30 pm and ends at 10:00 pm.
b) I used "or so" because I might extend the talk to 95 minutes or may stop at the 85 minutes.
c) Q and A section means "Questions and Answers", I'll allow participants to ask me questions.
d) The so-called "discussion about tonight's topic" means "participants can talk about the chosen topic", too.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]I will[/STRIKE] I'm going to give a talk at Gary's English club. I'll say the following before I give the talk:

I'll divide tonight's talk into two parts. For the first 90 minutes or so, I'll talk about [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] my chosen topic "How can one learn English without spending time in an English-speaking country?" no full stop here The [STRIKE]rest one[/STRIKE] remaining hour [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] will be a Q and A [STRIKE]section[/STRIKE] session, or a discussion [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] of/on tonight's topic.

Please help me with the italic sentences.

More context:

a) The talk starts [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] at 7:30 pm and ends at 10:00 pm.
b) I used "or so" because I might extend the talk to 95 minutes or may stop at [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] 85 minutes.
c) Q and A section means "Questions and Answers". I'll allow participants to ask me questions.
d) The [STRIKE]so-called[/STRIKE] "discussion about tonight's topic" means "participants can talk about the chosen topic" no comma here too.

Wow! A 90-minute talk. Your participants have an impressive concentration span. At the English club I used to help out at in Madrid, the chosen person gave a ten-minute talk at the start.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Wow! A 90-minute talk. Your participants have an impressive concentration span. At the English club I used to help out at in Madrid, the chosen person gave a ten-minute talk at the start.

Hmm, every day we have an English club meeting. Every Saturday, the activity is called "Leture Night" or something. The host of it will give a speech which starts at 7:30 and ends at 10:00. However, we can also give a ten-minute talk on Tuesday night, which is called "Public Speaking Night". Everyone is supposed to give a talk for no more than ten minutes and then people will discuss about the topic of the speaker.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hmm, every day we have an English club meeting. [strike]Every[/strike] The Saturday meeting no comma here [STRIKE]the activity is[/STRIKE] is called "Lecture Night" or something. The host [STRIKE]of it will[/STRIKE] gives a speech [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] that starts at 7:30 and ends at 10:00. However, we can also give a ten-minute talk on Tuesday night, which is called "Public Speaking Night". Everyone is supposed to give a talk for no more than ten minutes and then people [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] discuss [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] the topic of the [STRIKE]speaker[/STRIKE] talk.

Note my corrections above. Remember that we don't "discuss about" anything.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Silver, are you certain that the host gives a two and a half hour speech?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Silver, are you certain that the host gives a two and a half hour speech?

Pretty sure, yes. The host and the shop owner (one person) is my friend and we have activities every week. However, I don't know how the "keynote speak" handle their letcure. Will they do the same thing like I will be doing? Not sure about this. But the time is two hours and 30 minutes.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pretty sure, yes. The host and the shop owner (one person) is my friend and we have activities every week. However, I don't know how the "keynote speaker" handles their lecture. Will they do the same thing that I will be doing? Not sure about that. But the time is two hours and 30 minutes.

Okay, but that seems pretty long for one speech.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It would be far too long for me to sit through. (with my bladder).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.