English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
I am not sure I understand it:
He was even so charming that Ivy tapped him for membership in the spring of his sophomore
year.
The Rule of Four, Ian Caldwell, Dustin Thomason
Does it mean that he was chosen to become a member?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not sure I understand [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the bold part below.

He was even so charming that Ivy tapped him for membership in the spring of his sophomore year.

The Rule of Four, Ian Caldwell, Dustin Thomason

Does it mean that he was chosen to become a member?

Sort of. Here, I think it means she encouraged him to become a member, or even that she managed to convince him to hand over a membership fee. In BrE, we say things like "She tapped him up for a loan", which means "She talked him into lending her some money".

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, it means something like 'nominate' or 'select'. Since the authors are both from the US, it stands to reason that's what it means.

See transitive verb entry #5.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In the UK, if you tap someone, you check them out to see if they would be interested, without making the actual offer.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You'll frequently see it used in headlines in regards to someone in a leadership position (like a president or governor) announcing their choice for such and such position.

Google something like 'governor taps' or 'president taps' and you'll see plenty of headline examples, although of course some refer to other definitions of 'tap'.

You might get more relevant results by inserting the name of a particular leader ( e.g. 'Biden taps', 'Netanyahu taps', Putin taps).

In the US, certain positions at both the state and federal levels require senate confirmation, so even though a president or governor "taps" them, it doesn't automatically mean they'll get the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.