Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm an asian, but race shouldn't matter here.

I understand why the N word was one of the most offensive slur word and the history behind it.

I, however, was having a conversation with my daughter about it, but she was getting mad when I use it in a context that wasn't offensive to anyone, like
"Why do you think we cannot say N******r?", or
"It is okay to say N***** when you are using it toward people, object, jokes, or swear"
"N*****r is an English word"

Am I wrong here?

Thanks,
Huy

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How could you know it wasn't offensive to anyone? I consider it offensive 200% of the time. In other words, I'm with your daughter. Don't use that word. Ever. Period.

NeverDie

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I truly respect that. I also understand why.

I'm not trying to promote the usage of it, but before the conversation started, I did mention to my daughter that it was in the private environment, at home.

In fact, there are books that are written for the word. There are posts on the internet about the word.

Shouldn't context matter here? What about education purposes? If I can't use the word, how can I inform other people not to use it? I'm not trying to start an argument. I want to hear more opinions so I can come back and either apologize to my daughter or teach my daughter why it is both bad or good to use it, in certain circumstances.

I honestly don't want my daughter to run around and believe things without having information about things.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Race shouldn't matter anywhere. But it does. Nothing you can do about it.

Never say or write this word.

NeverDie

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Is this actually an "ask a teacher" forum? I came here to ask a question and was responded with "don't use this word."

Can we be more informative by telling more about it? I am start questioning whether some John Doe or Karen in the street harassing people because they were taught that way -- shut out of information. Isn't this the reason why we have anti science, anti vax, black lives matter?

Give people the information so they can make informed decision than just to say "200% offensive," or "do not use this word, ever."

This is an English forum, and I'm sadden to see 200%, or shutting people out for asking a question.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The three contexts you give are not inoffensive to everybody. It seems to me that the debate you are trying to start is simply an excuse to use the word. I agree with your daughter. We are a language forum, and that is a word that was used freely in the past, but is not anymore- this reflects the context and society that rejects certain language, and this isn't PC gone mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.