[Vocabulary] What does "Zal community" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamine.bkr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hi,

Please, is the word "Zal" in the following context a proper name or it has a meaning in English?
Here is the context:

A conflict has been raging for years in the Zal community and women widely report sexual violence, past and present.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That is not context. We can't help you unless you tell us where you found that quote.

Lamine.bkr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
That is not context. We can't help you unless you tell us where you found that quote.

A friend of mine sent me this context, and I don't have more.

Lamine.bkr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In that case, I have no idea what the Zal community means, even after googling it. Zal is certainly not a standard English word.

By the way, most of the google hits I got concern Zal Yanovsky, one of the founders of the rock band The Lovin' Spoonful. I knew him personally and can assure you there is no "Zal community" relating to him.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A friend of mine sent me this context, and I don't have more.

Please ask your friend where he/she found the quote. We still need the source and the author.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could be a religious community.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
More context to the OP is definitely needed.
Perhaps "Zal community" refers to the residents of Qal'ah-ye Zal, a town in the Kunduz region Afghanistan - some 176 mi or ( 283 km ) North of Kabul , the country's capital city. The region is known for it's high crime rate.
Without further guidance from the OP this thread appears to be headed to the "Death from lack of Context " repository! ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
More context [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] from the OP is definitely needed.
Perhaps "Zal community" refers to the residents of Qal'ah-ye Zal, a town in the Kunduz region of Afghanistan - some 176 miles or (283 km) north of Kabul, the country's capital city. The region is known for [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] its high crime rate.
Without further guidance from the OP, this thread appears to be headed to the "Death from lack of context" repository! ;-)

Please note my corrections above. Don't put a space after an opening bracket or before a closing bracket. Don't put a space before closing quotation marks either. Remember that "it's" is a contraction of "it is". The possessive is "its" (no apostrophe).

I think you might be right about the road the thread is on. The OP wrote a post saying just "Thank you" (without quoting any particular reply) - I deleted it, as normal, because it was unnecessary but it suggests they're done with this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.