Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why?

Please note that most of the people who have answered so far have got it wrong.

Last edited:

kalli

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Dear students, "u" is a semi-vowel;this means that sometimes it behaves as a vowel like in "umbrella","ultimatum","underproduction"etc when an"an" is necessary.Other times it behaves like a consonant as in "university","union","unique" when an "a" is needed.Practice will help!;-)

nosayr

it should be "A"
because U is the first letter of the word universal ,
and we say "a" universal

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most people say /əju:arel/ but I've also heard (and accept) /ənɜ:l/. What is wrong is /ənju:arel/.

b

Omar!

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear students, "u" is a semi-vowel;this means that sometimes it behaves as a vowel like in "umbrella","ultimatum","underproduction"etc when an"an" is necessary.Other times it behaves like a consonant as in "university","union","unique" when an "a" is needed.Practice will help!;-)

I get it and hope that this answer is the correct .

what do you see Tdol ;-) ?

Avalon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Germany

Kalli is absolutely right and so is of course,BobK.

Not only does that happen to U but to E too...ex: a European country, an abbreviations like an MP..

vijayjakhar

Member Type
English Teacher

let us see...vowels in english language are aeiou and conventionally we are told to use an before them but its not because we use an before a word only when the sound is of a vowel.....

eg. a/an M.B.A. the answer is...... an M.B.A. because here M of MBA sounds like AM.B.A. so thats why we use am.

another eg. a /an union......again U of Union sounds like yu-nion. so here we use a instead of an

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
The pronounciation of U is [ju] as in "uniform", "unicorn", etc.

John007

Member Type
English Teacher
Most people say /əju:arel/ but I've also heard (and accept) /ənɜ:l/. What is wrong is /ənju:arel/.

b

because URL is read as (YU)( R)( L) then the correct answer is "A URL"

examples to help you- An Umbrella
A universal language
An unimportant event

read the sentences and listen to the difference in the sounds of the words such as (YU) as in uniform or (A) as in up.

cold_fire1987

Member Type
Student or Learner
I chose an. how do you guys pronounce URL anyways? English is my 2nd language so im not very good at it. but for me I pronounce it like i pronounce letter U and then R and then L. U-R-L.

Edit: nvm, i just notice that U sounds like YU or the word YOU. so yea i probably chose the wrong answer:-( sorry. I agree with John

this proves how bad my English is -_-

sunnyrauf

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,
The answer is A because A or An depends on pronunciation. If any word's pronunciation starts with "a" like umbrella we put "an". otherwise we use "a"..
read the word and listen to the difference in the sounds of the words such as (YU) as in uniform or (A) as in up.

Thanks and Best of Luck:up:

quantumphyser

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I've just picked 'A' because we pronounce 'U' as 'u' /ju:/. I think that not have to care about which word the 'U' represents.

astrojunkee

Member Type
Student or Learner
i agree with the answer of an "a".But it is also denfend on how you used it because URL is not a word, like we know URL is just an abbreviation of universal resource locator.

Status
Not open for further replies.