American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which one is correct?

1) A total of the students is....?
2) A total of the students are...?

The word "total" is singular and takes a singular verb. That said, I don't know what you can follow that with and still have a meaningful sentence.

hlbert03

The word "total" is singular and takes a singular verb. That said, I don't know what you can follow that with and still have a meaningful sentence.

Does this mean that the sentence below is correct?

- A total of ten students is going to have a retake of the exam this coming Monday.

Or, it should be "are" instead. If this sentence uses "are", could you give me an example of a sentence that uses "total" and "is" in which "total" is the subject. Thanks.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

- A total of ten students is going to have a retake of the exam this coming Monday.

Well, :?:yes:?:, but the opening phrase strikes me as dead wood - I'd prefer just 'ten students are...', or - if you want to emphasize the total - 'ten students altogether...'

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Or, it should be "are" instead. If this sentence uses "are", could you give me an example of a sentence that uses "total" and "is" in which "total" is the subject. Thanks.

Yes, I would use a singular verb there. There are those, I assume, who would choose a plural verb because of "students", but that would be incorrect, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.