Program/Programme.

In British English, I know program is usually used instead of programme when dealing with computers, but I wondered whether there are other things for which program is generally used instead. Is there any particular reason why the American version of the spelling is sometimes used?

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Program/Programme.

I think it's just down to the dominance of AE in the field, with possibly a preference for simplicity and clarity among programmers, etc. Or maybe they just can't spell in English. I searched the British National Corpus ([DAVIES] Variation in English Words and Phrases (VIEW)) and the vast majority of example were computing or American English.

Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Program/Programme.

When Tdol refers to 'the dominance of AE in the field' - meaning IT - I'd add that this could apply to other fields too. Many motivational self-help books and management books tend to favour the AmE spelling - also personnel departments (at least, the ones that call themselves "HR departments" - Human Resources). I imagine this caveat covers most of the exceptions you find in the BNC.

b