sick people

Status
Not open for further replies.

pusher

Hello,

I wonder what you say to a sick person. "I wish you a quick (speedy) recovery" sounds a bit pompous, I guess.

:roll:

blueabell2go

Member Type
Other
I wish you a speedy recovery is OK but it sounds a little formal (not pompous). An employer might write it in a letter to an employee.

"Get well soon" or " I hope you get better soon" or "I hope you're feeling better" is more commonly used in speech or when writing a Get Well card.

pusher

Thanks, blueabell2go. I have one more question to you, though. Does my nickname have a negative connotation for you? Shall I change it? :lol:

blueabell2go

Member Type
Other
Hi Pusher,

Yes, I must admit I did wonder why you chose that name. A pusher is someone who sells illegal drugs. At least that is my understanding of it.

If you find out how to change your name on this forum, please let me know because I made a typo in mine. There should be no "a" in bluebell.

Johnny

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have a solution for your two.

You may register once again with another name! That's working for sure.:lol: :lol: :lol:

pusher

Well, initially I meant a person who is pushy, but later I found out that even in this meaning the word has a negative connotation.

This is what I have found in the FAQ of the forum:

You can alter any of the fields in your profile, except your username. Once you have registered your username, it becomes yours for life. In extreme circumstances, you may request that the administrator change your username, but he or she will require a very good reason to do so.

Do you think we have a good enough reason for that? :)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I wonder what you say to a sick person. "I wish you a quick (speedy) recovery" sounds a bit pompous, I guess.

:roll:

One thing to take into consideration is how sick is the person? If they've been in a serious accident and are facing many months of physical therapy and recovery, "get well soon" or "I wish you a speedy recovery" is not the best greeting to use. :-? Likewise if they've got cancer and are undergoing their third round of chemotherapy. In cases like that, it's hard to know just what to say, but usually asking "How are you feeling today? Is there anything I can do for you?" is a good start. If you're sending them a card or letter, you can say "Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you." :)

Johnny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Very good

Some could be used formally and the others could be applied to the informal occasions !!!

Mordant

Member Type
Other
Johnny
Hope you are not having any problems with your username and its meaning.

curmudgeon

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks, blueabell2go. I have one more question to you, though. Does my nickname have a negative connotation for you? Shall I change it? :lol:
If you have a car as old as mine then it is quite appropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.