help! correct usage of in and on

• Thread starter bagwis
  • Start date
  • Views : 112,116
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bagwis

can anyone help on this coz i'm bit confuse....which is correct? in december or on december?in the street or on the street? in the floor or on the floor?...tnx in advance

dianasan

Hello,
on/in December: both can be used but one is more general (e.g.I will travel in December) and the other is more specific (I will travel on the fifth of December);

on/in the street: both can also be used; "in the street" is more general and common whereas "on the street/streets" is used in idiomatic expressions and it means without a home, outside, etc.: e.g. charity organisations always consider the problems of people living on the street;

on the floor: as far as I know, you will always say on the floor
Bye

hlbert03

Just an additional to what was said already. If you are talking about months and years, "in" should be used. However, if you are talking of specific dates, like December 25 or December 25, 2006, "on" should be used.

As for the street, based on what I know, it should be "in" and for the road, it should be "on". I'm not really sure if "on" can be used for street. Let us wait for other members to comment about this.

As for the floor, it is always "on".

Status
Not open for further replies.