• Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Ron Ziegler

Woe is me!
    As an example of incoherence and dissembling I have to translate the 99-word totally incoherent reply of the President's Nixon press secretary that he gave on the question if certain tapes which may have recorded the President discussing illegal actions were still intact. Instead of simple "yes" or "no" he said:

"I would feel that most of the conversations that took place in those areas of the White House that did have the recording system would in almost their entirety by in existance..."

Up to the third "that" I seemed still followed him, but then.. Could somebody help me please?

Re: Ron Ziegler

There were lots of conversations.

Some of those took place in parts of the White House where the recording system was in place.

Of that selection of conversations, most would in almost their entirety... (etc.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Thank you, very much indeed, it's a real help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Just can't understand why he starts his statement by "I would feel"...

He's a government official, and one thing that government officials do is to turn a simple sentence like "I think so" into an incomprehensible mess like this. "I would feel" means the same thing as "I believe", but with an extra word to give the official more time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Mr. Ziegler won some sort of "Doublespeak" award from a group of teachers shortly after he made that speech. They were basically congratulating him for using so many words to basically not answer a question. Ron Ziegler is considered to be one of the original spin doctors; that is, someone who twists words around to make negative things sound positive.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Most politicians and all press secretaries are equivocators, that is people who can talk on and on about something without ever saying anything meaningful. To see what Shakespeare thinks of these guys, check out the Porter's speech in Macbeth 2.3.

The fictional master of this kind of speech was, as anyone who is British and remembers the 1980s, Sir Humphrey Appleby, Permanent Secretary to James Hacker MP (the Minister in charge of the Department of Administrative Affairs), in the classic comedy series Yes, Minister.

Here's one his finest speeches. Hacker has just discovered that Sir Humphrey was responsible for a huge error 30 years before which cost the taxpayer billions of pounds. Hacker has put him on the spot: he has just asked Humphrey to find out who was responsible, forcing him to confess:

Sir Humphrey: The identity of this official whose alleged responsibility for this hypothetical oversight has been the subject of recent speculation is not shrouded it quite such impenetrable obscurity as certain previous disclosures may have led you to assume, and, in fact, not to put too fine a point on it, the individual in question was, it may surprise you to learn, the one to whom your present interlocutor is in the habit of identifying by means of the perpendicular pronoun.

Hacker: I beg your pardon?

(Pause)

Sir Humphrey: It was I.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

At least I could follow the thought in Sir Humphrey's confession opposite to Ziegler's

"... but the special prosecutor, the court, and I think, the American people are sufficiently familiar with the recording system to know where the recording devices existed and to know the situation in terms of the recording process, but I feel, although the process has not been undertaken yet in preparation of the material to abide by the court decision, really, what the answer to that question is."

What, on earth, the answer to that question is?!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by meliss View Post
    At least I could follow the thought in Sir Humphrey's confession opposite to Ziegler's

"... but the special prosecutor, the court, and I think, the American people are sufficiently familiar with the recording system to know where the recording devices existed and to know the situation in terms of the recording process, but I feel, although the process has not been undertaken yet in preparation of the material to abide by the court decision, really, what the answer to that question is."

What, on earth, the answer to that question is?!
    To quote another politician "that depends on what your definition of 'is' is."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast