Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    foot/feet

    How does the measurement in the sentence read?

    - The ball dropped from 11 ft. store building.

    Should it "eleven feet" or "eleven foot". Please explain if the answer is foot. Also, I would be grateful if there would be some examples. Thanks.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: foot/feet

    Quote Originally Posted by hlbert03 View Post
    How does the measurement in the sentence read?

    - The ball dropped from 11 ft. store building.

    Should it "eleven feet" or "eleven foot". Please explain if the answer is foot. Also, I would be grateful if there would be some examples. Thanks.
    That sentence makes no sense.

    The ball dropped from an 11 story building.
    The ball dropped 11 feet.
    My apartment has 11-foot ceilings.

  3. #3

    Re: foot/feet

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    That sentence makes no sense.

    The ball dropped from an 11 story building.
    The ball dropped 11 feet.
    My apartment has 11-foot ceilings.

    Sorry for the wrong sentence. I just want to know how to say "11 ft." Should it be "eleven foot" or should I use "feet" instead. Thanks again.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: foot/feet

    Quote Originally Posted by hlbert03 View Post
    Sorry for the wrong sentence. I just want to know how to say "11 ft." Should it be "eleven foot" or should I use "feet" instead. Thanks again.
    There is no way to answer that for your original sentence.

    Normally, use "foot" when it is an adjective and "feet when it is a distance.

    He ran 400 feet.

    He bought a 12-foot plank.

  5. #5

    Re: foot/feet

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    There is no way to answer that for your original sentence.

    Normally, use "foot" when it is an adjective and "feet when it is a distance.

    He ran 400 feet.

    He bought a 12-foot plank.


    Thank you.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: foot/feet

    Quote Originally Posted by hlbert03 View Post
    Thank you.
    You're welcome.


    • Join Date: May 2006
    • Posts: 1,335
    #7

    Re: foot/feet

    Hi,
    I think there might have been a typo. Would it make sense with 11,000 feet store building? Or 1,100?

  7. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #8

    Re: foot/feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hi,
    I think there might have been a typo. Would it make sense with 11,000 feet store building? Or 1,100?
    Those, especially the first, would be some stores. The tallest man-made structure on earth (at the current time) is 2063 feet tall and it is a communications tower.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 81
    #9

    Smile Re: foot/feet

    DEAR ,
    For measuring tools we use 11 feet as well as inches -meters -yards
    kilometers - centimeters and so on .but the question is " how can it be used with one" one feet or on foot?

    with best regards!

    saleemabu

  8. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #10

    Re: foot/feet

    Quote Originally Posted by saleemabu View Post
    DEAR ,
    For measuring tools we use 11 feet as well as inches -meters -yards
    kilometers - centimeters and so on .but the question is " how can it be used with one" one feet or on foot?

    with best regards!

    saleemabu
    With "one" it is always "foot".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •