weather forecast

Could you please have a look at this site?

Video On Demand

When the weatherman is talking about the north-western part of the USA, he is mentioning something like a "pineapple" or what... What does it mean?

I need some weather forecast scripts to read it and learn some words that are usually used as I can't understand the video it if I don't know some of the most important words... Could you suggest me any useful sites where the audio/video of the weather forecast can be heared/watched + some scripts of what the man is saying would be available? (I guess there is no such a site, but... who knows...)

Could you correct the mistakes I've just done, please? I need to improve my English by being corrected. Thanks...
    Last edited by Lenka; 06-Nov-2006 at 19:42.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: weather forecast

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka View Post
    Could you please have a look at this site?

Video On Demand

I've been watching it for several times and I still can't understand a few words... Well, you will probably treat me like a madman, but... I really can't understand a word that he is still repeating... He says something like /taeksiz/ or what... I don't know... Don't laugh at me, please .
    He's mentioning the word a few times when talking about the storms in the Gulf Coast.

Then, he "moves" to the north-western part of the USA and is talking about something like a "pineapple" or what... What does it mean?

I need some weather forecast scripts to read it and learn some words that are usually used as I can't understand the video it if I don't know some of the most important words... Could you suggest me any useful sites where the audio/video of the weather forecast can be heared/watched + some scripts of what the man is saying would be available? (I guess there is no such a site, but... who knows...)

Could you correct the mistakes I've just done, please? I need to improve my English by being corrected. Thanks...
    Don't worry, I had to listen to him a few times to catch everything, too. First of all, he is speaking very quickly, as most weather casters do (they only have a few moments in which to relate all their information). Secondly, that is Mark Mancuso, who grew up in Massachusetts, and he still has the very pronounced accent of that region.

"Pineapple pipeline" refers to weather that is swept up to the mainland United States from Hawaii via the Jet Stream. It sounds like "taeksiz," but he's saying "Texas." (I told you he had a funny accent! )

Most of the online glosseries of weather terms are very technical; perhaps this one will give a better overview of some of the more common words you'll hear during a weather forecast.

Re: weather forecast

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Don't worry, I had to listen to him a few times to catch everything, too. First of all, he is speaking very quickly, as most weather casters do (they only have a few moments in which to relate all their information). Secondly, that is Mark Mancuso, who grew up in Massachusetts, and he still has the very pronounced accent of that region.

"Pineapple pipeline" refers to weather that is swept up to the mainland United States from Hawaii via the Jet Stream. It sounds like "taeksiz," but he's saying "Texas." (I told you he had a funny accent! )

Most of the online glosseries of weather terms are very technical; perhaps this one will give a better overview of some of the more common words you'll hear during a weather forecast.
    Thank you very much for your response :).

Anyway, I really couldn't understand the word, but later, I did realize it was "Texas" (oh, how stupid I was!) and I deleted the question :). Thank you, anyway.