• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Red face A lof of questions from Ju

Dear all,

I am a native Cantonese speaker from Hong Kong.

A) May I know the meanings, usage & examples of the terms as follow:
    1. give us an edge over our rival
    2. blunt the edge at our peril
    3. make a pin out of a steel rod
    4. at the expense of
    5. by all means
    6. you bet
    B) I found a term from a child's big book of words and pictures which I couldn't find the meaning from dictionaries as follow:

• 'scrunchies' (it comes with a picture shown on the book exactly a cloth rubber band for a little girl with a small accessary like ribbon attached)
    C) My 6-year-old daughter is studying in an International school in Hong Kong. Is there any website where I can pick up the proper terminologies in English for Maths in the level of Primary Year 2, so I can practise with her at home? There is no textbook, home assignment or class diary referring what she's learnt in school. As I am using my way & terms in Maths in teaching her, she doesn't catch what I mean. It's urgent...Please help!!!

Many thanks.

Ju

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: A lof of questions from Ju

give us an edge over our rival
    Something that gives us an advantage.
    During the U.S. Civil War, the North had access to iron foundries and munitions factories, which gave them an edge over the South.

blunt the edge at our peril
    We had an advantage, but we are not using it, and it is to our detriment.
    The Red Cross has been distributing free condoms throughout Africa in order to fend off AIDS epidemic, but many distrustful and superstitious Africans aren't using them, thus blunting that edge at their own peril.

make a pin out of a steel rod
    I am unfamiliar with this phrase; it sounds as though it's referring to wastefulness - making something small like a pin out of a large steel rod? Like making a toothpick out of a tree? I'm just guessing, though.

at the expense of
    a loss for the sake of something gained
    I had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, with pumpkin pie and everything, but at the expense of my diet. I'll never fit into my new dress now!

by all means
    Of course, positively, absolutely
    If you think you can fix this garbage disposal without calling a plumber, then by all means, go right ahead.

you bet
    Certainly, without a doubt.
    If the boss is going to pay the bill for the entire weekend, then you bet I'll be attending that conference in Las Vegas!!

B) I found a term from a child's big book of words and pictures which I couldn't find the meaning from dictionaries as follow:

'scrunchies' (it comes with a picture shown on the book exactly a cloth rubber band for a little girl with a small accessary like ribbon attached)
    A scrunchy is a decorative accessory used to hold the hair in a pony tail. It is an elastic that is covered with colored or patterned cloth of some sort.

C) My 6-year-old daughter is studying in an International school in Hong Kong. Is there any website where I can pick up the proper terminologies in English for Maths in the level of Primary Year 2, so I can practise with her at home? There is no textbook, home assignment or class diary referring what she's learnt in school. As I am using my way & terms in Maths in teaching her, she doesn't catch what I mean. It's urgent...Please help!!!

This site might be of some help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Dear Ouisch,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Have a nice day / ju

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    give us an edge over our rival
    Something that gives us an advantage.
    During the U.S. Civil War, the North had access to iron foundries and munitions factories, which gave them an edge over the South.

blunt the edge at our peril
    We had an advantage, but we are not using it, and it is to our detriment.
    The Red Cross has been distributing free condoms throughout Africa in order to fend off AIDS epidemic, but many distrustful and superstitious Africans aren't using them, thus blunting that edge at their own peril.

make a pin out of a steel rod
    I am unfamiliar with this phrase; it sounds as though it's referring to wastefulness - making something small like a pin out of a large steel rod? Like making a toothpick out of a tree? I'm just guessing, though.

at the expense of
    a loss for the sake of something gained
    I had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, with pumpkin pie and everything, but at the expense of my diet. I'll never fit into my new dress now!

by all means
    Of course, positively, absolutely
    If you think you can fix this garbage disposal without calling a plumber, then by all means, go right ahead.

you bet
    Certainly, without a doubt.
    If the boss is going to pay the bill for the entire weekend, then you bet I'll be attending that conference in Las Vegas!!

'scrunchies' (it comes with a picture shown on the book exactly a cloth rubber band for a little girl with a small accessary like ribbon attached)
    A scrunchy is a decorative accessory used to hold the hair in a pony tail. It is an elastic that is covered with colored or patterned cloth of some sort.

This site might be of some help.
    Ouisch,

Many thanks / ju