1. Unregistered

Question All Thumbs

What does this question mean, "Do you sometimes feel like you are all thumbs?"

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: All Thumbs

"All thumbs" means clumsy. If you keep dropping things, or goofing things up, you might say "I feel like I'm all thumbs today." (Thumbs have less dexterity than fingers, it seems. )

Thumbs up Re: All Thumbs

Thanks! This phrase was presented by a psychologist as an example of an idiom that might not be understood by deaf people (who grow up without hearing these idioms). I'm a psychology graduate student, and I didn't understand it either: not because I'm deaf, but because I was raised in a different country!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It's interesting that you mentioned that. A friend of mine married a woman who had a deaf daughter, and over the years he learned enough American Sign Language to communicate with her. But he didn't know that certain spoken idioms didn't translate properly. When the girl was elected president of her class at school, my friend asked her (in sign) "So, you're a big wheel now?" (A "big wheel" means someone of importance, someone in charge.) She didn't understand and took it literally, meaning she was some sort of large tire!

Smile Re: All Thumbs

What an interesting anecdote!

(I wonder if there's a way to know when there are replies to the thread, I hadn't been here in a while).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by calderon_co View Post
    [COLOR=black]...

(I wonder if there's a way to know when there are replies to the thread, I hadn't been here in a while).

Click on Thread Tools, select Add Subscription, and then select what sort of notification you want.

b
    ps - Another version of 'big wheel' is 'big cheese' - which would've been even more confusing.