Ravel/unravel

I would really love to ask a competent person to clarify me on this "ravel/unravle" thing. I sincerely thought that I could use "ravel" as an opposite to unravel. So I wrote "please, let's not ravel our jobs" in my work email. Apparently, I was wrong. At least, a couple people (Americans) made a comment about it. Please, point out why the sentence I used is not correct. And what would be the correct way to say it? Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Ravel/unravel

Quote Originally Posted by arakis View Post
    I would really love to ask a competent person to clarify me on this "ravel/unravle" thing. I sincerely thought that I could use "ravel" as an opposite to unravel. So I wrote "please, let's not ravel our jobs" in my work email. Apparently, I was wrong. At least, a couple people (Americans) made a comment about it. Please, point out why the sentence I used is not correct. And what would be the correct way to say it? Thank you.
    What were you trying to say?

One of the problems with ravel is that it is an antagonym/contranym, meaning that it has opposite meanings.

It can mean:

to make intricate
    to undo the intricacies of

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Ravel/unravel

You could say 'please lets not make our jobs more complicated. Unravel can mean to make things simpler, like 'unraveling the mysteries of life'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Post Re: Ravel/unravel

One problem could be that while many use and understand the word unravel, few use or understand the word ravel.

~R