• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

must / have to / should

Complete the sentences using should / must / have to or their negative forms.

1- It is too late to watch TV. It is high time you went to bed.
    You ---- watch TV. You ---- go to bed right now.

In my opinion, the answer is "mustn't - must". The speaker's authority is obvious. What do you think?

2- It's freezing cold outside. It is necessary for her to wear a coat.
    She ---- wear a coat.

To me, "should" fits in as the person speaking does not express obligation but necessity and I do not sense an obligatory tone. What's your take?

3- It is necessary to make some preparations for winter.
    We ---- buy some coal and wood before cold days come.

I think the answer is "must" as there is an outside force urging us to buy some coal and wood - winter, but another viewpoint can be that the word "necessary" in the stem may be indicating "necessity", that is, "should". As you see, I am undecided on this. What's your opinion on it?

4- It's nearly ten. You are obligated to finish the report within two hours.
    You ---- finish and fax it to the London office before lunchtime.

I think here what we need is "have to" as the person speaking to us is reminding us of a third party's authority, not his/her own. What do you think?

5- I advise you to lock the door in case burglars break in.
    You ---- lock the door in case burglars break in.

The verb 'advise' gives the necessary clue. "should" is correct as there is advice in question. What's you opinion?
    Last edited by Trex; 11-Nov-2006 at 14:03.

Re: must / have to / should

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Complete the sentences using should / must / have to or their negative forms.

1- It is too late to watch TV. It is high time you went to bed.
    You ---- watch TV. You ---- go to bed right now.

In my opinion, the answer is "mustn't - must". The speaker's authority is obvious. What do you think? OK

2- It's freezing cold outside. It is necessary for her to wear a coat.
    She ---- wear a coat.

To me, "should" fits in as the person speaking does not express obligation but necessity and I do not sense an obligatory tone. What's your take? OK

3- It is necessary to make some preparations for winter.
    We ---- buy some coal and wood before cold days come.

I think the answer is "must" as there is an outside force urging us to buy some coal and wood - winter, but another viewpoint can be that the word "necessary" in the stem may be indicating "necessity", that is, "should". As you see, I am undecided on this. What's your opinion on it? Must or have to.

4- It's nearly ten. You are obligated to finish the report within two hours.
    You ---- finish and fax it to the London office before lunchtime.

I think here what we need is "have to" as the person speaking to us is reminding us of a third party's authority, not his/her own. What do you think? Must - it looks stronger to me, but have to is also good.

5- I advise you to lock the door in case burglars break in.
    You ---- lock the door in case burglars break in.

The verb 'advise' gives the necessary clue. "should" is correct as there is advice in question. What's you opinion?
    OK
    Hi, Trex,
    In fact they are largely interchangeable and - IMHO - nearly any of them could be inserted, though it would give a slightly different shade.

Regards