Question To bridge the gap of...

Mason: Iíve been on dates with, what, like, five girls or so that Iíve met online.

Emily: And, how did they go?

Mason: Uh, one, one girl I actually ended up dating for about two months and it went really well for the time that it worked. Uh, but that was, that was the once. You know, everyone else has just kinda been hard to get over that gap of, like, having already talked about certain things, and, like, asked a certain degree of personal questions but not having, like, actually felt how the chemistry works between two people.
    Emily: Itís like a perpetual blind date.

Mason: Exactly, itís likeÖ and then when you actually get together, itís really, really hard to bridge the gap of the online thing.

Hello,

what is the meaning of these two parts in bold,please?can you explain?

Thanks
    Last edited by behnaazzz_f63; 12-Nov-2006 at 19:32.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: To bridge the gap of...

The gap is the difference between communicating with someone over the internet and face-to-face. They mean that it is hard to deal with having discussed thing online but not seen how they get on when meeting.

Question Re: To bridge the gap of...

Mason: Uh, one, one girl I actually ended up dating for about two months and it went really well for the time that it worked. Uh, but that was, that was the once. You know, everyone else has just kinda been hard to get over that gap of, like, having already talked about certain things, and, like, asked a certain degree of personal questions but not having, like, actually felt how the chemistry works between two people.

Hi

Thanks for replying.But they were just a general definition of the phrase,but i need the meanings word by word cause my english is too bad .Thanks

Can you tell me what he means by this sentence?" but not having, like, actually felt how the chemistry works between two people." Is he talking about himself or the women he dated,or both?and is it about when they used to chat or when they were dating?it is confusing.

Also i want to know what he means by "having already talked about certain things and ,like,a certain degree of personal questions"?and is it about when they used to chat online or when they were dating?

everyone else has been hard to get over that gap of(?) =Does" they have been hard to" mean it was difficult for them(the people he used to date with) to? shouldn't it have been in past continue tense instead of present continue tense,like,they had been hard to?what is the meaning of " to get over" here,does it mean to bridge also?

after this phras "everyone else has just kinda been hard to get over that gap of",where is its continue after of ?of what?gap of having already talked?is it its continue or or he suddnly changes what he wanted to say after gap of ,and uses, like ,before it as a way of thinking ?

Does "LIKE" mean for example or it is a way to let himself think?

Mason: Exactly, itís likeÖ and then when you actually get together, itís really, really hard to bridge the gap of the online thing.
    Emily: Right. Thatís what I was gonna say.
    Mason: Like touching, like actulaly just touching that person is weird.
    Emily: Thereís always this air of, like, ďWe met online.Ē
    Here," it is really h
    Mason: Yeah. I think itís changing though. Itís changing a lot. Like, because I had a lot of shame when I first started telling people about it after I did it.
    Emily: Rightfully so. Just kidding.
    Mason: Are they gonna have, like, a picture of me in my slouch gear up?
    Emily: Maybe.
    Mason: UmÖ
    Emily: Maybe we should vidoetape this.
    Mason: We should bring cameras. But, but noÖ and then, like, everyÖ when I started saying it, a lot of people who I didntí expect were, like, ďOh, yeah, Iíve given that a try.Ē

Here "it is really hard to brige the gap of the online thing", i wonder if it means" it is hard for you to help to overcome the differences of the online thing between yourselves and trying to get along with them wich seems impossible to him ?does online thing mean generally meeting online and then meeting face to face?

What is the meaning of "picture of me in my slouch gear up?
    Sorry for asking too much.