• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

size 16?

"The passion for dieting ignores the fact that women are different shapes and sizes (47% of British women take a size 16 or over)."

Does this "size" refer to the size of clothes?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: size 16?

Quote Originally Posted by Eway View Post
    "The passion for dieting ignores the fact that women are different shapes and sizes (47% of British women take a size 16 or over)."

Does this "size" refer to the size of clothes?
    Yes it does.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I believe that British sizes run slightly differently, but in American sizing, 16 is the largest that is considered "regular." Anything above that is considered a "plus" size.

To put sizes in perspective, the average size of most actresses today (Jennifer Aniston, Lindsay Lohan, Angelina Jolie) is a very petite two. Marilyn Monroe was a size 12, which was considered sexy and curvacious in her day, but would be positively porky by today's show business standards. Of course, there is a vast difference between Hollywood and real life.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    I believe that British sizes run slightly differently, but in American sizing, 16 is the largest that is considered "regular." Anything above that is considered a "plus" size.

To put sizes in perspective, the average size of most actresses today (Jennifer Aniston, Lindsay Lohan, Angelina Jolie) is a very petite two. Marilyn Monroe was a size 12, which was considered sexy and curvacious in her day, but would be positively porky by today's show business standards. Of course, there is a vast difference between Hollywood and real life.
    It is also true that there has been considerable deflation in clothes sizes. The invention of size zero was ridiculous. Now we have the minus 2.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Certainly, as far as shoe sizes are concerned. But I could believe Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. As to your more recent examples, I have difficulty remembering the names of these stick insects. I think women's clothes sizes go up to 18 here, but many shops stock nothing bigger than a 16 (in fact, some boutiques don't stock anything over a 12).

In a healthy move recently, Marks and Spencer (big clothes chain) insisted that all their models should be a 14.

b