Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

blonde joke?

I often see some "blonde joke" on net,and I don't know why in America they like to make jokes on "blonde"? I think blondes refer to those women who have golden air and blue eyes, aren't they?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: blonde joke?

Blonde hair (yellow or golden) is a recessive trait, genetically speaking, so it is less common than dark hair. Because it was somewhat rare, over the centuries it was perceived as more desirable to have blonde hair. And, because blonde women had that sort of idealized status, their dark-haired sisters became jealous and started perpetuating the stereotype that blondes may be beautiful, but they're stupid. Have you ever seen the old TV show Three's Company? Chrissy (played by Suzanne Somers, who got her blonde hair out of a bottle) was forever doing stupid things and making nonsensical, ridiculous comments. But it was expected of her and accepted because she was blonde and attractive.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Blonde hair (yellow or golden) is a recessive trait, genetically speaking, so it is less common than dark hair. Because it was somewhat rare, over the centuries it was perceived as more desirable to have blonde hair. And, because blonde women had that sort of idealized status, their dark-haired sisters became jealous and started perpetuating the stereotype that blondes may be beautiful, but they're stupid. Have you ever seen the old TV show Three's Company? Chrissy (played by Suzanne Somers, who got her blonde hair out of a bottle) was forever doing stupid things and making nonsensical, ridiculous comments. But it was expected of her and accepted because she was blonde and attractive.
    There is absolutey nothing recessive about blonde hair.. What do you mean by recessive? The only gene regarding hair that I am aware of that is recessive, is Red. Correct me here if I'm wrong.
    "blonde' jokes can be changed to "ukranian" , "Irish", "black" or any other group that the perceived dominant group wishes. Basically it is all racist or sexist and has no place in our society. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    There is absolutey nothing recessive about blonde hair.. What do you mean by recessive? The only gene regarding hair that I am aware of that is recessive, is Red. Correct me here if I'm wrong.
    "blonde' jokes can be changed to "ukranian" , "Irish", "black" or any other group that the perceived dominant group wishes. Basically it is all racist or sexist and has no place in our society. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

BBC NEWS | Health | Blondes 'to die out in 200 years'
    science.ca View question

As a blonde who has come by her hair color the natural way, I've never found blonde jokes to be the least bit humorous. I find it appalling that folks can freely tell these on television and they're supposed to be funny; but if we substituted the word "black" or "Pole" for blonde, it would be racist and the ACLU would get involved. I don't smoke, but feel free to put all that in your jock strap and snap it.
    Last edited by Ouisch; 13-Nov-2006 at 22:04.

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Gladly. The "blonde hair" gene is recessive, the "red hair" gene is an "incomplete dominant" gene.

The world of genetic science is several hundred times more complicated than any school text-book or pop-science magazine will suggest.

Yes, there are many "dumb blonde" jokes in Europe and America, and yes, many people consider them offensive or at least insensitive -- so it might be a good idea not to use them yourself.

And you're quite right, Jenny -- the colour of a woman's hair has nothing to do with her intelligence.

Incidentally, there are stereotypes about women with other hair-colours. For example, red-heads are supposed to be passionate and bad-tempered.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think that the blonde jokes are an attempt to find a group without "protected minority" status who could become the brunt of the same tired ethnic-hatred jokes that are as old as human language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I quite like blondes...

I suppose that makes me a chauvinist.

Ps. I have a rather nice ginger moustache

• Member Info