Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #1

    what etc.

    Dear teachers,

    Please read the following sentences:

    No.1
    I typically encourage them to discover _________ excites them and make a decision based on this rather than focus on where they will make money or what is in fashion currently.
    a. what b. whatever
    The key is 'a'. My question is: Why isn't 'b' correct?

    No.2
    He was a friend of all the great people of his_______ and a welcome guest in the palaces of princes and kings.
    a. day b. period

    The key is 'a'. But in my dictionary I can only find 'in one day' which means 'during the most successful part of someone's life. If 'of his day' means the same thing, then the sentence means ' when he was successful he was a friend of all the great people'. Is that right?
    And 'b' isn't correct because that means 'the time from he was born to the day he died'. Is that right?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: what etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    Please read the following sentences:

    No.1
    I typically encourage them to discover _________ excites them and make a decision based on this rather than focus on where they will make money or what is in fashion currently.
    a. what b. whatever
    The key is 'a'. My question is: Why isn't 'b' correct?

    No.2
    He was a friend of all the great people of his_______ and a welcome guest in the palaces of princes and kings.
    a. day b. period

    The key is 'a'. But in my dictionary I can only find 'in one day' which means 'during the most successful part of someone's life. If 'of his day' means the same thing, then the sentence means ' when he was successful he was a friend of all the great people'. Is that right?
    And 'b' isn't correct because that means 'the time from he was born to the day he died'. Is that right?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    The first one is very close. It sounds as if the subject is about choice of field or career. In that case "what" is a little better than "whatever", because it is more specific. Nevertheless, "whatever" works pretty well there.

    "Of his day" means "of his time", "when he was alive. It fits nicely here. "Period" is a bit overblown for this use. It has more to do with historical or cultural changes than a guy and his friends or one person's lifetime.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #3

    Re: what etc.


    Dear Mike,

    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    The first one is very close. It sounds as if the subject is about choice of field or career. In that case "what" is a little better than "whatever", because it is more specific. Nevertheless, "whatever" works pretty well there.

    "Of his day" means "of his time", "when he was alive. It fits nicely here. "Period" is a bit overblown for this use. It has more to do with historical or cultural changes than a guy and his friends or one person's lifetime.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: what etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post

    Dear Mike,

    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Jiang
    You're welcome, Jiang.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •