Results 1 to 9 of 9

    • Join Date: Mar 2005
    • Posts: 230
    #1

    In The Mood

    Dear Teachers,

    A. Recently, I’ve been seeing him out and he has seemed so happy to see me.
    - “see him out” means “go out with him”, right?

    B. I tried joining a gym but I couldn’t get myself in the mood to go.
    - “get myself in the mood to go” means “force myself to have the mood to go”, right?

    Thanks a lot

    Namsteven

  1. rewboss's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2006
    • Posts: 1,552
    #2

    Re: In The Mood

    A. "See him out" means "accompany him to the exit", and this may be because you want to spend as much time with him possible, or because you're being polite, or because you want to ensure that he actually leaves (because his is unwelcome, for example).

    B. "Force" would be too strong here. If you force yourself to get into the mood, it means you battle very hard against your natural wishes. Getting in the mood is usually less painful than that: it simply means to do something that will help you get to the point where you really do feel in the mood. In this case the author probably didn't even try, or didn't try very hard.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #3

    Re: In The Mood

    Quote Originally Posted by namsteven View Post
    Dear Teachers,

    A. Recently, I’ve been seeing him out and he has seemed so happy to see me.
    - “see him out” means “go out with him”, right?

    B. I tried joining a gym but I couldn’t get myself in the mood to go.
    - “get myself in the mood to go” means “force myself to have the mood to go”, right?

    Thanks a lot

    Namsteven
    IMO, "seeing him out" means encountering him in public places, probably those of a social nature -- bars, clubs, etc.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 309
    #4

    Re: In The Mood

    When I first read seeing him out I also thought of accompanying him to the exit, but then thought, but the rest of the sentence does not make sense...then I read rewboss´s post and still wondered, then MNY solved and confirmed my suspicions..but it also sounds strange..seeing him would already mean going out and he seemed so happy to see me doesn´t make sense either..as going out would be a regular thing..

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #5

    Re: In The Mood

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    When I first read seeing him out I also thought of accompanying him to the exit, but then thought, but the rest of the sentence does not make sense...then I read rewboss´s post and still wondered, then MNY solved and confirmed my suspicions..but it also sounds strange..seeing him would already mean going out and he seemed so happy to see me doesn´t make sense either..as going out would be a regular thing..
    I don't get the sense from that sentence that the two are dating. In this case "see him" is not the idiom but has the regular meaning. This is similar to "I've been seeing him out on the town and he always looks happy."

    The sentence could be much clearer.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 309
    #6

    Re: In The Mood

    Quote Originally Posted by namsteven View Post
    Dear Teachers,
    A. Recently, I’ve been seeing him out and he has seemed so happy to see me.
    - “see him out” means “go out with him”, right?
    B. I tried joining a gym but I couldn’t get myself in the mood to go.
    - “get myself in the mood to go” means “force myself to have the mood to go”, right?
    Thanks a lot
    Namsteven
    I don´t really agree with having , in A, the sentence started by the word recently...Lately I´ve been seeing him out and he always seems so happy to see me.. or I´ve recently seen him out and he seemed so happy to see me..The combination of recently and the pres.perf.cont.form of see does not seem to sound right, or does it?

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #7

    Re: In The Mood

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    I don´t really agree with having , in A, the sentence started by the word recently...Lately I´ve been seeing him out and he always seems so happy to see me.. or I´ve recently seen him out and he seemed so happy to see me..The combination of recently and the pres.perf.cont.form of see does not seem to sound right, or does it?
    I see your point. I tend to use "lately" with recurrent or multiple actions. In this case, however, it sounds as if the young lady has noticed a recent change in his behavior. For some reason, this use doesn't strike me as odd.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 309
    #8

    Re: In The Mood

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I see your point. I tend to use "lately" with recurrent or multiple actions. In this case, however, it sounds as if the young lady has noticed a recent change in his behavior. For some reason, this use doesn't strike me as odd.
    How could you guess it´s a young lady he´s happy to see?
    How about...Recently/ in the past few days , I´ve been seeing him out and he seems so happy to see me (every time we meet) Bear in mind I could be a man/boy/old Lady...

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #9

    Re: In The Mood

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    How could you guess it´s a young lady he´s happy to see?
    How about...Recently/ in the past few days , I´ve been seeing him out and he seems so happy to see me (every time we meet) Bear in mind I could be a man/boy/old Lady...
    One picks up context from a variety of clues.

    I like "recently" there, but not "in the past few days". The latter doesn't seem like enough time to establish a pattern.

Similar Threads

  1. mood: countable/uncountable?
    By lisa*** in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2006, 16:42
  2. subjunctive mood
    By Rona in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Aug-2006, 13:28
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Jul-2006, 09:02
  4. help!!!
    By Unregistereded in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Mar-2006, 05:45

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •