Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #1

    although etc

    Dear teachers,

    Please read the sentence:

    _________ I work very hard, I love what I do and derive meaning from my work.

    a. Although b. As c. Because d. If
    The key is 'a'. But I don't think the sentence makes sense here. Maybe Although the work is hard I .... Is that right?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  1. Mad-ox's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,471
    #2

    Re: although etc

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers

    Although I work very hard, I love what I do and derive meaning from my work.

    This sentence is correct, 'although' having the meaning ''even though''.



    m

  2. Mad-ox's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,471
    #3

    Re: although etc

    Although I work hard = even though I do a lot of effort

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: although etc

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    Please read the sentence:

    _________ I work very hard, I love what I do and derive meaning from my work.

    a. Although b. As c. Because d. If
    The key is 'a'. But I don't think the sentence makes sense here. Maybe Although the work is hard I .... Is that right?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I would aslo choose "although", but you have a point. The sentence presupposes that working hard is not normally associated with love of the work. That is certainly true in many jobs, but it isn't true in all.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #5

    Re: although etc


    Dear Mike,

    Thank you very much for your reply. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I would aslo choose "although", but you have a point. The sentence presupposes that working hard is not normally associated with love of the work. That is certainly true in many jobs, but it isn't true in all.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #6

    Re: although etc

    Dear Mike,

    I think I misunderstood 'work hard'. I thought it meant ' to put a lot of energy into the work willingly'. Now I think possibly it means ' the work makes me put a lot of energy', which might suggest 'passive action' then the sentence makes better sense. Is that right?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I would aslo choose "although", but you have a point. The sentence presupposes that working hard is not normally associated with love of the work. That is certainly true in many jobs, but it isn't true in all.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #7

    Re: although etc

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post

    Dear Mike,

    Thank you very much for your reply. Now I see.

    Jiang
    You're welcome.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #8

    Re: although etc

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear Mike,

    I think I misunderstood 'work hard'. I thought it meant ' to put a lot of energy into the work willingly'. Now I think possibly it means ' the work makes me put a lot of energy', which might suggest 'passive action' then the sentence makes better sense. Is that right?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Yes, exactly. It is difficult to tell the difference with nothing more than the phrase "work hard".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #9

    Re: although etc


    Dear Mike,
    I am so glad to see that I am correct. Many thanks!

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Yes, exactly. It is difficult to tell the difference with nothing more than the phrase "work hard".

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #10

    Re: although etc

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post

    Dear Mike,
    I am so glad to see that I am correct. Many thanks!

    Jiang
    Many you're welcomes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •