• Post Thanks / Like

I need help

Richard III supposedly had the young princes murdered. Never found out what really happened to them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need help

They say Richard III ordered someone else to murder the young princess. He did not do it by himself.

• Post Thanks / Like

There is an entire industry devoted to Richard III and the Princes in the Tower. There is a novel call "The Daughter of Time" by Josephine Tey which gives a good overall picture of the various theories. At the end of the day it all happened 500 years ago, so all that can be said is the boys died somehow and somewhere, and Richard was killed soon after.

• Post Thanks / Like

Richard III was declared king and petitioned to take the throne of England by the Lords and Commons after his nephews had been declared illegitimate. They were already living at the Tower of London in the royal apartments.

The Tower did not get it's terrible reputation until the Tudors began using it mainly as a prison and torture chamber, and had been until then just another of the royal palaces. The boys were seen playing until later that year and then disappeared.

It is one of the great mysteries of history what happened to them, but first and foremost Richard was legally king and had no reason to murder them.

Theories abound, but it was not in Richard's nature to kill without any reason. The boys may have been smuggled away, hence the theory that Perkin Warbeck, a pretender during the time of Henry VII, was the youngest of the boys; they may have been killed by royal servants, thinking that was what Richard wanted; or they may have just died of natural causes, but had this happened I'm sure Richard would have displayed the bodies. In fact had Richard had them killed he would have displayed the bodies and told people they had died of natural causes, else why kill them?

Henry VII did of course have little claim to the throne and spent a lot of time trying to justify stealing Richard's crown. After all he was a declared traitor when he invaded England in 1485 with a mainly French army, and only won the battle against Richard when personal greed and grievances came into play and Richard was betrayed by the Stanleys, who had grudges galore against Richard, in spite of the elder Stanley being forgiven and allowed to live after conspiring against Richard earlier in the reign.

Richard's regin was beginning to look like one of the most enlightened in history with his respect for the law and the rights of all men, no matter their birth.

Instead we got the miserly rule of Henry VII, the tyranny of Henry VIII, and the religious conflicts under his children that eventually led to the Civil War in the 17th century.

And of course anyone with any royal Plantagenet blood in their veins didn't last long under the first two Tudors who systematically had them legally killed.

Many lived to regret Richard's defeat and death, and many stayed loyal to him for years after his death.

And thoug he tried very hard to find out about the boys fate Henry Tudor never did, and he was plagued by pretenders and rumours. Of course he may well have killed them himself, another theory, and not been able to tell what had happened.

Oh and Richard III had no physical deformity whatsoever, this being put into the Tudor tales to indicate a deformed mind capable of terrible crimes. A deformed body indicating a deformed mind.

My money on what happened to the boys goes on the Duke of Buckingham, who helped Richard to the throne then inexplicably rebelled against him, in spite of having been loaded with titles and gifts and positions once Richard became king. He dreamed of King Henry VII, but his name was Henry, and with Richard out of the way after an outbreak of horror at hearing the boys had been killed, the country would turn to the next most powerful royal person, himself, Henry, Duke of Buckingham. He was the Henry VII Henry Stafford dreamed of, not Henry Tudor.