inform on/of/about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,

could you please tell me whether there is a difference between inform on sth, inform of sth and inform about sth.? (and as I am asking about 3 items, should I say "whetehr there is a difference among" ...?)

Thank you very much.

Hanka

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
could you please tell me whether there is a difference between inform on sth, inform of sth and inform about sth.? (and as I am asking about 3 items, should I say "whetehr there is a difference among" ...?)
Thank you very much.
Hanka

inform on sbd: to inform on is to give incriminating information to the authorities about someone: Only two people knew, and it must have been you that told the police - Benny would never inform on his brother.

inform of [maybe on too*, my mind's gone numb! let's hope someone else answers] and inform about are sometimes interchangeable, but not always:

I was not informed of the late running of the bus
= (I think)
I was not informed about the late running of the bus

Another possibility would be

I was not informed as to the late running of the bus

Use of when the object is specified, about when it's not.

Head Office must be informed of the burglary.

But

Head Office must be informed about any breach of security.

b

*PS

Yes. This is OK too:
Your job is to inform the committee on the state of the roads in the area. About would be OK too; of would imply a bad state: It was your job to inform the committee of the state of that road; there might have been an accident. This is not easy, as you will have noticed. Over to someone else...

Status
Not open for further replies.