1. McGee

Question about grammar useage of that the ?

I have a question about using that the in a sentence. It is my understand that, "the" is used when the noun has been identified before or if it is specifically related to a known subject. I have had the discussion numerous times as to whether one uses "that the..." or just uses "that..." in sentences. I typically use the two words together when either one does not make sense without the other. For example, I used it in the following manner in my document.
    Prior to conducting these surveys, we recommend that the applicant’s consultant contact the Service to discuss appropriate survey methodology.
    The sentence would not make sense without both words being used. However, in the sentence below, one could make sense of the sentence by just using the term, "the" without the "that".
    Second, that the City should require, and only accept as valid, those assessments that include surveys that are performed by qualified individuals during appropriate seasons when sensitive species would likely be detected.
    My question is, which way is proper?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Question about grammar useage of that the ?

In your second sentence, the word that is unnecessary. It is not functioning as a demonstrative pronoun( thatgirl over there), it is not indicating the subjunctive mood (I suggested that we go), it is not introducing a relative clause (He dorve the car that won the race), or performing any of the other functions that I can't think of now.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by McGee View Post
    I have a question about using that the in a sentence. It is my understand that, "the" is used when the noun has been identified before or if it is specifically related to a known subject. I have had the discussion numerous times as to whether one uses "that the..." or just uses "that..." in sentences. I typically use the two words together when either one does not make sense without the other. For example, I used it in the following manner in my document.
    Prior to conducting these surveys, we recommend that the applicant’s consultant contact the Service to discuss appropriate survey methodology.
    The sentence would not make sense without both words being used. However, in the sentence below, one could make sense of the sentence by just using the term, "the" without the "that".
    Second, that the City should require, and only accept as valid, those assessments that include surveys that are performed by qualified individuals during appropriate seasons when sensitive species would likely be detected.
    My question is, which way is proper?
    The real problem is that your second sentence is not a sentence at all. By including "that" as the second word, you have eliminated any possibiliy of a main verb. As written, it is a series of subordinate clauses.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You're right, MNY. This is that "bullet-point" style that is so obnoxious in modern business communication.

I suggest the following items:

-First, that your mother move out of our house.
    -Second, that she take your lazy, good-for-nothing brother with her.
    -Third, that she replace the carpet in the room where her cat slept.

YUK