1. wxy

"no less" and "for that"

I think "myth" means "a lie" here, because form the whole article, I can know that "mobile phones can cause explosions at petrol stations" is not truth. Then what does "no less" and "for that" mean? Are they fixed phrases?

(context: Do mobile phones cause explosions at petrol stations? That question has just been exhaustively answered by Adam Burgess, a researcher at the University of Kent, in England. Oddly, however, Dr. Burgess is not a physicist, but a sociologist. For the concern rests not on scientific evidence of any danger, but is instead the result of sociological factors: it is an urban myth, supported and propagated by official sources, but no less a myth for that. Dr Burgess presented his findings this week at the annual conference of the British Sociological Association.
    from Anatomy of a techno-myth)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "no less" and "for that"

Quote Originally Posted by wxy View Post
    I think "myth" means "a lie" here, because form the whole article, I can know that "mobile phones can cause explosions at petrol stations" is not truth. Then what does "no less" and "for that" mean? Are they fixed phrases?

(context: Do mobile phones cause explosions at petrol stations? That question has just been exhaustively answered by Adam Burgess, a researcher at the University of Kent, in England. Oddly, however, Dr. Burgess is not a physicist, but a sociologist. For the concern rests not on scientific evidence of any danger, but is instead the result of sociological factors: it is an urban myth, supported and propagated by official sources, but no less a myth for that. Dr Burgess presented his findings this week at the annual conference of the British Sociological Association.
    from Anatomy of a techno-myth)
    It may not be as serious a lie, but it is a false story, probably passed along in good faith. "No less a myth for that" means it is no less false just because official sources have supported and propagated it.