• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

qualify?

This is an explanation in my English textbook about Parenthetical expressions and the comma use associated with it, and I understand most of it except for this one word: qualify.

Parenthetical Expressions

Parenthetical expressions contain additional information the writier inserts into the sentence for such purposes as to explain, qualify, or give his or her point of view. If parenthetical expressions do not appear in parentheses, they are set off with commas.

Examples:

The inarticulate politician, unfortunately, stated his contradictory views about abortion on national television.

In most writing situations, such as this one, commas are used to set off parenthetical expressions.
    Does any of the two examples below the explanation show parenthetical expression as a means of qualificaiton? If not, what is 'qualifying' in this context?

You might've gotten tired of my saying this, but any helpful feedback would be much appreciated!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: qualify?

What I think it might mean is to add additional relevant information. But that is just a guess.

~R

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade View Post
    This is an explanation in my English textbook about Parenthetical expressions and the comma use associated with it, and I understand most of it except for this one word: qualify.

Does any of the two examples below the explanation show parenthetical expression as a means of qualificaiton? If not, what is 'qualifying' in this context?

You might've gotten tired of my saying this, but any helpful feedback would be much appreciated!
    The word "qualify" there means to limit, modify, or restrict.

The President will, except in times of war, consult with Congress on military purchases.

In most instances (but not this one), I submit the papers to Human Resources.