Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One More Time

This is in the name of allah,many hello,two days ago I asked about some movie's title- AS GOOD AS IT GETS -and somebody replied with giving me an idea about the situations that include this idiom and I thank him. But what I realy need particularly is what does the title refere to according to the story of the film because I didn't watched it and I have to translate the title . Another favour but from a language expert ,I need to analyse this idiom -especially "AS" and know the suitable synonym for the verb "GET" according to the context . MANY MANY THANKS

Wink Re: One More Time

Hello there,

I was a frequent visitor to the message board but after reading your post, I decided to sign up for an account so that I can reply!

Firstly, I'd like to point out that the translation of 'bism ellah el rahman el rahim' English is ' In the name of allah , not 'this is in the name of allah'.

I know the uses of the phrase in arabic however when writing an email or a post in a message board I do not recommend using it, especially when addressing non-arabic speakers who don't know what you actually mean by that.

In arabic it is common to use the phrase at the beginning of writing an assignmet or a letter. It signifies that you believe in god and ask for his blessing. You can say the phrase in English may be before a presentation or something but when writing a post, just get on to what you want to ask about!

Secondly, There is nothing called 'Many Hello'. Perhaps you meant a 'warm' hello...Just 'Hello' is enough anyway!

Thirdly, you had better divide your post into paragraphs so that it would be easier to read! (this applies to all languages )

Back to your question,
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    "As good as it gets" is a common idiom in American English. "It" refers to the current situation. The current situation is what it is - it won't (or can't) improve. The phrase can be used either literally or sardonically."
    The idiom doesn't need further analysation really! I haven't watched the film but I guess the title would be used sardonically!

A synonym of 'get' in the title would be 'become' or 'start to be'

Good Luck!

P.S: I suggest you work on your English. Reading would help, you can start with the english version of daily newspapers! Moreover, there are endless English /American cable channels. If you haven't got cable you can watch Channel 9 free which broadcasts in English 24/7 or listen to English Radio stations.
    Last edited by sarah321; 28-Nov-2006 at 02:26.

In reply to Sarah

In the name of Allah , many hellos , first of all I have appreciated your reply to my thread ,Then I'd like to clear up many things about my thread . Begining with -in the name of Allah- is something I have to do before starting any thing , and writing such a phrase for non arabic speakers is something that prophet mohammed did in his letter for king Hercules ,as Albukhary mentioned , and putting -this is- before such a phrase means "this post is written in the the name of Allah" , and mentioning the word -Allah- for non arabic speakers is not a bizarre thing because it is an english word too ,for your information , look at Allah . secondly , you were absolutely right about -many hello -because -hello- should be in plural ,except this , there is no thing wrong about it . Finally , I did devided my thread into paragraphs,it were three . THANKS ALOT

Re: One More Time

1) I'd rather you just say 'Hello'. 'Many Hellos' is exact translation from Arabic.

2) Indeed you can start a letter with the phrase 'in the name of allah' but a post on a message board should be brief. As far as I know prophet Mohammed used the phrase a lot, not just in a letter to a King.

If you wanted to start with the phrase, just like you do in arabic write it in a separate line before you start writing.

3) In order to divide your post into pargraphs Just click on the 'Enter' button.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by sarah321; 06-Dec-2006 at 00:23.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In the movie, the character played by Jack Nicholson is struggling with serious mental illness. He has a choice between taking medication which makes him feel terrible, but act normal, or not taking his medicine, which makes him feel normal, but act in a socially unacceptable manner. He is in his doctor's waiting room, contemplating his choices when he asks the other patients, "Is this as good as it gets?"

His meaning is, "What if there are no good choices in life?" What if all options have some bad outcomes, and that is all that life has to offer us.

At least that is what I got out of it.

Thumbs up In reply to Mykwyner

In the name of Allah ,
    thanks Mykwyner,your reply is really what I needed .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You are very welcome. I'm glad I could help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: In reply to Mykwyner

Quote Originally Posted by the arrow of egypt View Post
    In the name of Allah ,
    thanks Mykwyner,your reply is really what I needed .
    Do you realise how much time you could save if you didn't start every thread with 'In the name of Allah'?

Question In reply to Curmudgeon

In the name of Allah,
    do you realize how much the reward I could lose if I didn't start every thing with "In the name of Allah"!?.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: In reply to Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by the arrow of egypt View Post
    In the name of Allah,
    do you realize how much the reward I could lose if I didn't start every thing with "In the name of Allah"!?.
    No idea whatsoever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast