1. Sophia24

Question Olive /undertone

Hello,

I do not know what is meant by an olive skin tone. When I was in England a make up artist told me I had a 'yellow undertone' and another one told me I had an 'olive complexion'

I am from Spain but I always thought I was 'fair' ie: nomal colour. What is meant by 'yellow/ undertone' and what exactly is an olive colour?

Many thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Olive /undertone

Olive complexion is a reference to you skin tone. Some people are fair skinned others dark skinned and all shades in between! People from the Mediterranean, Spain Italy etc are generally darker skinned than people from Scandinavia. It's all to do with the pigmentation in the skin.

Strangely fair skinned people spend hours trying to get darker, yet if you go to the far east, Malaysia, Indonesia etc then you will see that the people there actually buy cosmetics and apply whitening agents to make them appear fairer. (Mainly the female of the species )

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

People of Mediterranean heritage (Spain, Italy, Greece) are often described as having an "olive complexion." When referring to women in general, fashion types break complexion tone down into four categories: fair, medium, olive and dark. Olive skin usually has either pink undertones or yellow undertones. Yellow undertones give the skin a warm, slightly golden or caramel-colored glow (think Jennifer Lopez).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Strangely fair skinned people spend hours trying to get darker, yet if you go to the far east, Malaysia, Indonesia etc then you will see that the people there actually buy cosmetics and apply whitening agents to make them appear fairer. (Mainly the female of the species )
    - like Michael Jackson?

b