• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

• Post Thanks / Like

about adoption

"During the 1960s in the UK there were about 20,000 newborn babies available for adoption each year. Owing to changes in society's attitude to sex outside marriage and to single mothers during the ensuing period, this figure had dropped. Most couples want to adopt newborn babies, particularly healthy ones. This all means the screening of prospective adoptive parents is now extremely rigid."

What period is "the ensuing period" in this context?
    Does "This" in the last sentence refers to the fact that most couples want healthy newborn babies? I don't see why this fact can mean the screening of prospective adoptive parents is now extremely rigid.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: about adoption

During the ensuing period = after the 1960s

'This all' refers to at least the previous two sentences, and perhaps also to information earlier in the text.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. But I don't understand why the figure of babies available for adoption has dropped and people want healty babies could mean the screening of prospective parents are strict.

In my understanding, the figure has dropped could mean less single mothers abandon their children. And the fact that people want healthy babies could mean babies with problems have less chances to be adopted. I can't see why those facts would show that the screening of prospective parents are strict or not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

It's the principal of supply and demand. In the 60s there were many more babies that needed adoption therefore the authorities were less stringent in the vetting of couples seeking to adopt as they were under more pressure to find adopting couples. Now that there are less babies 'on the market' they can afford to be more demanding in their requirements as the need for adoptive parents is less urgent.