How to use the words "since" and "from"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker7

Member Type
Student or Learner
- "The telegraph office was in operation since June 1879"

In BrE this is not correct. If the telegraph office is still in operation, you could use the present perfect here. If not you should use 'from' not 'since'.

bhaisahab,

Thank you for specifying that point!

Does it mean that 'from' must be used also in cases when we briefly report on past events whose end date (completion date) is not specified. For example 'John Smith became a member of the Liberal Party from 1859'?

Does it sound naturally or we just need to use another pattern (construction) in order to express the same idea?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
bhaisahab,

Thank you for specifying that point!

Does it mean that 'from' must be used also in cases when we briefly report on past events whose end date (completion date) is not specified. For example 'John Smith became a member of the Liberal Party from 1859'?

Does it sound naturally or we just need to use another pattern (construction) in order to express the same idea?

No, you can say "John Smith was a member of the Liberal Party from 1859 (onwards)." or "John Smith became a member of the Liberal Party in 1859."

Seeker7

Member Type
Student or Learner
No, you can say "John Smith was a member of the Liberal Party from 1859 (onwards)." or "John Smith became a member of the Liberal Party in 1859."

It turns out to be more simple than expected :angel:

Thank you very much, bhaisahab!

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note:
I agree with everything bhaisahab has said here. (I don't think there is any difference between British and American usage regarding the terms in question.)
:)

Seeker7

Member Type
Student or Learner
Note:
I agree with everything bhaisahab has said here. (I don't think there is any difference between British and American usage regarding the terms in question.) :)

Hi RonBee,

There was a little bit of misunderstanding maybe because my initial question was not clear enough. :-(

Both examples referred past events that do not continue in the present.

For example, the telegraph office in question does not exist now as well as John Smith.

So, the question was -- if "till" is not specified -- which one is more correct when we need to mention the starting point ("since" or "from") with respect to an event not continuing to date?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[/indent]Hi RonBee,

There was a little bit of misunderstanding maybe because my initial question was not clear enough. :-(

Both examples referred past events that do not continue in the present.

For example, the telegraph office in question does not exist now as well as John Smith.

So, the question was -- if "till" is not specified -- which one is more correct when we need to mention the starting point ("since" or "from") with respect to an event not continuing to date?
Good question! The answer is simple. If we are talking about something that began at a certain date and ended at a certain date (both events taking place in the past, of course), then we say it began at XXXX and lasted till XXXX. There are other ways to put it, but we wouldn't use since, because since is used when talking about something that started at a certain date is still going on. For example, we might say that John Smith has been working at his present job since 1999. In other words, he started working there at that time and he is still working there.

shilpachips

Member Type
Academic
Hello,

Very interesting discussion, however I have a confusion.

He has been working ______ 8 years.

Which is correct to be used, since or for.

macanudo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
He has been working ______ 8 years.

Which is correct to be used, since or for.

You should use 'for' for periods of time and use 'since' for points of time. For example,

for 6 years, for 6 minutes, for 6 months
since 2000, since 5:00, since August
I actually just posted an article about from and since if you are confused about these terms. I hope it helps you out.

Priceless

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi!

I want to know if it is correct the use of "since" in this sentence.

I wish to inform you about the work being done with much effort and devotion for the past 2 years regarding one tender...

I have corrected it and this is how it is now:

I wish to inform you about the work being done with much effort and devotion for the past 2 years regarding one tender..

Nevertheless, I wish to know if the first sentence is correct.

Thanks!

Priceless :-D

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi!

I want to know if it is correct the use of "since" in this sentence.

I wish to inform you about the work being done with much effort and devotion for the past 2 years regarding one tender...

I have corrected it and this is how it is now:

I wish to inform you about the work being done with much effort and devotion for the past 2 years regarding one tender..

Nevertheless, I wish to know if the first sentence is correct.

Thanks!

Priceless :-D

Both your examples are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.