Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 7
    #21

    Re: How to use the words "since" and "from"

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    - "The telegraph office was in operation since June 1879"

    In BrE this is not correct. If the telegraph office is still in operation, you could use the present perfect here. If not you should use 'from' not 'since'.
    bhaisahab,

    Thank you for specifying that point!

    Does it mean that 'from' must be used also in cases when we briefly report on past events whose end date (completion date) is not specified. For example 'John Smith became a member of the Liberal Party from 1859'?

    Does it sound naturally or we just need to use another pattern (construction) in order to express the same idea?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,719
    #22

    Re: How to use the words "since" and "from"

    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker7 View Post
    bhaisahab,

    Thank you for specifying that point!

    Does it mean that 'from' must be used also in cases when we briefly report on past events whose end date (completion date) is not specified. For example 'John Smith became a member of the Liberal Party from 1859'?

    Does it sound naturally or we just need to use another pattern (construction) in order to express the same idea?
    No, you can say "John Smith was a member of the Liberal Party from 1859 (onwards)." or "John Smith became a member of the Liberal Party in 1859."


    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 7
    #23

    Re: How to use the words "since" and "from"

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    No, you can say "John Smith was a member of the Liberal Party from 1859 (onwards)." or "John Smith became a member of the Liberal Party in 1859."
    It turns out to be more simple than expected

    Thank you very much, bhaisahab!

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    Moderator
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,546
    #24

    Re: How to use the words "since" and "from"

    Note:
    I agree with everything bhaisahab has said here. (I don't think there is any difference between British and American usage regarding the terms in question.)


    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 7
    #25

    Re: How to use the words "since" and "from"

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Note:
    I agree with everything bhaisahab has said here. (I don't think there is any difference between British and American usage regarding the terms in question.)
    Hi RonBee,

    There was a little bit of misunderstanding maybe because my initial question was not clear enough.

    Both examples referred past events that do not continue in the present.

    For example, the telegraph office in question does not exist now as well as John Smith.

    So, the question was -- if "till" is not specified -- which one is more correct when we need to mention the starting point ("since" or "from") with respect to an event not continuing to date?

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    Moderator
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,546
    #26

    Re: How to use the words "since" and "from"

    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker7 View Post
    [/indent]Hi RonBee,

    There was a little bit of misunderstanding maybe because my initial question was not clear enough.

    Both examples referred past events that do not continue in the present.

    For example, the telegraph office in question does not exist now as well as John Smith.

    So, the question was -- if "till" is not specified -- which one is more correct when we need to mention the starting point ("since" or "from") with respect to an event not continuing to date?
    Good question! The answer is simple. If we are talking about something that began at a certain date and ended at a certain date (both events taking place in the past, of course), then we say it began at XXXX and lasted till XXXX. There are other ways to put it, but we wouldn't use since, because since is used when talking about something that started at a certain date is still going on. For example, we might say that John Smith has been working at his present job since 1999. In other words, he started working there at that time and he is still working there.


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 1
    #27

    Re: How to use the words "since" and "from"

    Hello,

    Very interesting discussion, however I have a confusion.

    He has been working ______ 8 years.

    Which is correct to be used, since or for.

  4. Junior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 60
    #28

    Re: How to use the words "since" and "from"

    Quote Originally Posted by shilpachips View Post
    He has been working ______ 8 years.

    Which is correct to be used, since or for.
    You should use 'for' for periods of time and use 'since' for points of time. For example,

    for 6 years, for 6 minutes, for 6 months
    since 2000, since 5:00, since August
    I actually just posted an article about from and since if you are confused about these terms. I hope it helps you out.


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 1
    #29

    Re: How to use the words "since" and "from"

    Hi!

    I want to know if it is correct the use of "since" in this sentence.

    I wish to inform you about the work being done with much effort and devotion for the past 2 years regarding one tender...

    I have corrected it and this is how it is now:

    I wish to inform you about the work being done with much effort and devotion for the past 2 years regarding one tender..

    Nevertheless, I wish to know if the first sentence is correct.

    Thanks!

    Priceless

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,719
    #30

    Re: How to use the words "since" and "from"

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Hi!

    I want to know if it is correct the use of "since" in this sentence.

    I wish to inform you about the work being done with much effort and devotion for the past 2 years regarding one tender...

    I have corrected it and this is how it is now:

    I wish to inform you about the work being done with much effort and devotion for the past 2 years regarding one tender..

    Nevertheless, I wish to know if the first sentence is correct.

    Thanks!

    Priceless
    Both your examples are the same.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •