Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. Unregistered

    Red face This and that

    I am trying to think if there is a name for the occasion where two words are joined with "and" to form a commonly used expression. e.g. peaches and cream, bow and arrow, fish and chips. Thanks.

  2. rewboss's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2006
    • Posts: 1,552

    Re: This and that

    They are called "Siamese twins", because, like Siamese twins, they are cojoined. A better term, though, is "binomial".

    Binomials can be formed with other conjuctions as well, including "or" and "but": "sooner or later", "slowly but surely".

    Trinomials are also possible; these have three elements: "Hook, line and sinker".

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551

    Re: This and that


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts