Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    to get here to go anywhere

    Hi! Could you please clarify me about the meaning of the following:
    I Know how difficult it is to get here to go anywhere

    Thank you

    Kind Regards

    Cmp

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: to get here to go anywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by cmp View Post
    Hi! Could you please clarify me about the meaning of the following:
    I Know how difficult it is to get here to go anywhere

    Thank you

    Kind Regards

    Cmp
    That makes no sense. Are you sure that "here" is not really "her"?

  3. #3

    Re: to get here to go anywhere

    Yes, I'm sure ("A Woman of no importance" O Wilde Act I - Lady Hunstanton speaking to Gerald).

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: to get here to go anywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by cmp View Post
    Yes, I'm sure ("A Woman of no importance" O Wilde Act I - Lady Hunstanton speaking to Gerald).
    LADY HUNSTANTON. His secretary? That is good news indeed, Gerald.
    It means a very brilliant future in store for you. Your dear
    mother will be delighted. I really must try and induce her to come
    up here to-night. Do you think she would, Gerald? I know how
    difficult it is to get her to go anywhere.

    I think Mike guessed right: A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde
    [My emphasis]
    b

  5. #5

    Re: to get here to go anywhere

    I'm so sorry...I've just checked on another copy and it's correct: it's "her" not "here". The problem was the copy I'm working is incorrect. That's why it didn't make any sense. However, you have such a "tricky" language that one never knows!!

    Regards
    Cmp

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: to get here to go anywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by cmp View Post
    I'm so sorry...I've just checked on another copy and it's correct: it's "her" not "here". The problem was the copy I'm working is incorrect. That's why it didn't make any sense. However, you have such a "tricky" language that one never knows!!

    Regards
    Cmp
    It can be so.

    Do you understand the meaning of the correced line?

  7. #7

    Re: to get here to go anywhere

    I think so..."it's difficult to take her away from home", isn't that so?
    Thank you for your care
    Cmp

  8. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #8

    Re: to get here to go anywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by cmp View Post
    I think so..."it's difficult to take her away from home", isn't that so?
    Thank you for your care
    Cmp
    Yes. Evidently she doesn't like going out.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •