Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Mad-ox's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,471
    #1

    un/countable

    hi,

    Does the word food countable or uncountable?

    Thank you in advance,

    m
    Last edited by Mad-ox; 05-Dec-2006 at 09:24.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: un/countable

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-ox View Post
    hi,

    Does the word food countable or uncountable?

    Thank you in advance,

    m
    It can be either, but it never takes a singular article.

    Look at all the food on the table. (non-count)

    There were many different foods on the banquet table. (countable)

    To stay healthy, one needs to consume many different foods. (countable)

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #3

    Re: un/countable

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    It can be either, but it never takes a singular article.

    Look at all the food on the table. (non-count)

    There were many different foods on the banquet table. (countable)

    To stay healthy, one needs to consume many different foods. (countable)
    If you want to make a non-countable usage countable, there's a special composite noun just for the purpose: foodstuff. (This is unlike other non-count foods, which need another separate countable noun, like 'cup of tea' 'drink of water' 'slice of meat'.)

    But, in BE, you can talk about 'a food' too.
    Most foods are not blue, but this isn't a strict rule - as a food like blueberries shows.

    b

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: un/countable

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    If you want to make a non-countable usage countable, there's a special composite noun just for the purpose: foodstuff. (This is unlike other non-count foods, which need another separate countable noun, like 'cup of tea' 'drink of water' 'slice of meat'.)

    But, in BE, you can talk about 'a food' too.
    Most foods are not blue, but this isn't a strict rule - as a food like blueberries shows.

    b
    We usually use "foodstuff" (rare) to mean raw ingredients or elemental nutrients.

    Your second example is good. I han't thought of that.

  5. Mad-ox's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,471
    #5

    Smile Re: un/countable

    Thank you very much

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: un/countable

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-ox View Post
    Thank you very much
    You're welcome.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •