Question Plus

In the paragraph:

" Anyway, the semester is winding down, but is very busy with exams and projects to grade. But, I like this time of year. Lot's of work, but the students seems to do their best at this time. Plus, we are getting ready to go down to Trinidad, and I am excited about that. "

Plus in this paragraph means and , also? Does it mean that He / she is going to Trinidad and the students are going with him or her ?

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dinha View Post
    In the paragraph:

" Anyway, the semester is winding down, but is very busy with exams and projects to grade. But, I like this time of year. Lot's of work, but the students seems to do their best at this time. Plus, we are getting ready to go down to Trinidad, and I am excited about that. "

Plus in this paragraph means and , also? Does it mean that He / she is going to Trinidad and the students are going with him or her ?

Thanks!
    Yes, plus means "and" or "also". I understand why asked about the students going with him/her, but I'd assume that the "we" refers to his/her significant other, not the students.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Yes, plus means "and" or "also". I understand why asked about the students going with him/her, but I'd assume that the "we" refers to his/her significant other, not the students.

Could the sentence" Plus, we a re getting ready to go down to trinidad" could that mean an indirect invitation?

thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by dinha View Post
    Could the sentence" Plus, we a re getting ready to go down to trinidad" could that mean an indirect invitation?

thanks
    Invitation to whom?

It didn't sound like an invitation to me.

This seems to be a chatty e-mail, just filling the reader in on what is going on in the writer's life.

Plus means 'Moreover' or 'Also'.

It's very unlikely it was an invitation. I think the sender used 'we' to refer to him/ herself and those who are going to accompany him/her (family/ spouse/ kids, etc)
    Last edited by sarah321; 07-Dec-2006 at 14:04.