for, to or with

Hi,

could you please tell me whether three prepositions are necessary in the following sentence:

The contractor shall not use any information derived from his services for, to or with the company to compete with or work with a competitor of the company.

"Services provided to the company" and "for the company" - doesn´t it mean the same? And "with the company" - meaning in the premises of the company?

Thank you very much.

Hanka

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: for, to or with

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Hi,
    could you please tell me whether three prepositions are necessary in the following sentence:
    The contractor shall not use any information derived from his services for, to or with the company to compete with or work with a competitor of the company.
    "Services provided to the company" and "for the company" - doesn´t it mean the same? And "with the company" - meaning in the premises of the company?
    Thank you very much.
    Hanka
    "Services provided to the company" and "for the company" - don´t necessarily mean the same in all contexts. The form of words is just trying to cover all possibilities - so that no lawyer can ever make a case for violating a contract. And I disagree about 'with the company'. If Acme Inc and Zenith plc both provide a service to someone else (another company, or an individual), Acme Inc is supplying that service with Zenith plc.

b

Re: for, to or with

Hi hanka,
    You are right.
    I feel that the use of the prepositions 'to' and 'with' are redundant in sentence you have cited.
    Regards
    G S Reddy