Question what does it mean?

Hello, again
    What does this sentence mean?

Sensing the treacherousness of the ground they were treading, he checked himself in embarrassment.

Thanks in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: what does it mean?

What's the wider context? It could either mean that the physical ground is unstable or, more probably, that they are touching on sensitive issues, so he stopped in embarassment.

Question Re: what does it mean?

The thing is that I don't have wider context. There are only separate sentences given in the book, so I have to translate it, but confront with a lot of difficulties.
    I have one more sentence :

Even Mr. Jaggars started when I said those words. It was the slightest start that could escape a man, the most carefully repressed and the soonest checked, but he did start.

What did he start? I read it millions of times, but can't get it maybe, he jumped?

Re: what does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ksunya View Post
    The thing is that I don't have wider context. There are only separate sentences given in the book, so I have to translate it, but confront with a lot of difficulties.
    I have one more sentence :

Even Mr. Jaggars started when I said those words. It was the slightest start that could escape a man, the most carefully repressed and the soonest checked, but he did start.

What did he start? I read it millions of times, but can't get it maybe, he jumped?

In this context the meaning of "start" is : a sudden involuntary movement, so yes, in a sense he "jumped".